ii.

Jayen

The servant’s wing of the mansion wasn’t smaller than the rest, but it felt so much cozier. The walls were painted a deep red with dark wood trim. Paintings that a previous head maid created hung above tables in the hallway. All the furniture in the house was made of dark wood or painted black wood.

In the first room on the right was the kitchen. It was the largest room in the wing connecting to the dining room. A much smaller deep red room with a long black table. Further down on the left was the bathroom, shower room, and two storage rooms.

On the right were the servant’s rooms. The first one was the head maids, then the cook, and then the four maid’s rooms. Mine was at the back with an empty room next to it. Where Aoife would mostly live.

When we walked into the dining room I was hit in the face with the savory aroma of Kuna’s grilled chicken.

“That smells really good!” Aoife said. She had her eyes closed. “It smells like my momma used to make.”

I laughed. “Wait till you try it! Kuna’s cooking is the absolute best. They’re even better than the restaurant in town.”

“Coming through! Hot soup!” Maj shouted behind us. We moved out of the way to let her past.

“Soup and chicken? Kuna’s spoiling us.” I said.

“Well, it’s not every day we get a new guest!” Maj sang.

Aoife blushed. “All this for me?”

Maj grinned and put the pot of bowl on the table. The table had already been set with our usual metal bowls, plates, cups, and utensils. We had china for about a year before we broke most of it by accident. Whoops.

“All this for you dearie. And for the rest of us too.” Maj had a deep hearty laugh that made you feel warm and comfortable. 

“Is that your uniform?” Aoife asked Maj. She was wearing her work uniform, which we all wear. But her pants were black and not gray. Her shirt was also a dark red instead of sage green.

Maj spun in a circle. “It’s because I’m the head maid, so my uniform is different.”

“Coming through! I’ve got dinner!” Kuna was carrying a large plate with a whole chicken on it. It smelled delicious. “Maj you didn’t pour the soup?”

“Oops, I was busy talking to our wonderful friends.”

“Mhm. Pour the soup, Maj.”

Maj laughed again and picked up the pot again. She spooned in the soup and Kuna put the chicken down in the middle. 

“So when’s everyone else getting here?” I asked before sitting down at the table. “It’s be rude to start without them.”

“Oh dear, it’s just us and the twins now.” Maj smiled sadly. The twins were two tall, blonde and quiet people. Devi and Ferni were both maids were worked the night shift. I’d never really talked to them before.  

Aoife sat down next to me. “Lady Dupon told me she’s working on hiring more people.”

I’ve started re-working here this week. I’d been gone for only four months and none of my friends were here anymore. When Lord Damon died a few people left  out if respect for him and refusal to let someone else live in his home. Of course, Lady Dupon bought this place anyway. I knew someone had bought the estate but I no longer had the money to not work here. I was living off of my own garden before a drought struck.

“Great, she got rid of half our staff but don’t worry! She’s replacing them.” Maj rolled her eyes. “I’d quit if it wasn’t for Jayen.”

Kuna cleared her throat.

“Oh, you too.” Maj laughed.

I sat down at the table. The soup smelled delious and I was starving. “This smells wonderful.” Kuna patted my head and sat down across from me.

“I’m going to say it.” Maj sat down at the head of the table, on my left. “I don’t think I like Lady Dupon. She’s not even here and she’s already changing our staff and our lives. What is she gonna do what she gets here?”

I put a spoonful of soup in my mouth. I don’t want to talk about Lady Dupon right now. 

Aoife sat down on my right. “I’ve met her, she isn’t that bad. I mean, she’s strict and you have to have good manners but-”

“Do you think I have good manners? I’m not gonna last.” Kuna said.

Maj laughed. “This could be a going away dinner for you too!”

Kuna lightly smacked Maj’s arm. “If I leave you won’t be getting meals like this anymore!”

“This is really good.” I was already almost done with my soup and eager to move on to another topic.

Kuna cut a piece of chicken off and put it on my plate. “You should try the chicken. I used some of your herbs to season it. Um, the rosemary and I think thyme?”

I grew a herb garden outside the kitchen door just for them. Kuna had been talking about wanting fresh herbs for two years. The herbs were a lot quieter them the rest of the plants around the estate.

Aoife raised the bowls to her bowl and drank the rest of her soup. “I haven’t had a dinner like this since I left.”

“Where are you from?” Maj asked.

“Well, I lived in Ireane until I was fifteen, then I moved to Onshoren when I was twenty-two.” Aoife took a sip of water.

“Where’s Ireane?” Kuna asked as they put some chicken on everyone’s plates. If there’s something I missed the most it would be Kuna’s cooking.

“North, it’s a large island off the coast. I lived with my momma and grandpa.”

“Jayen wouldn’t tell where she was from for a year. It’s nice to have a new worker that isn’t so secretive.” Maj joked.

“I was sixteen!” I rolled my eyes and yawned.

“I guess it doesn’t run in the family. On your brother’s first day, he wouldn’t shut up. Kuna had to keep putting food on his plate so his mouth would be closed.” Maj laughed heartily.

Kuna laughed along and Aoife awkwardly chuckled. 

When I first started working here I was sixteen and living with my brother. Joshua was three years older than me and owned his own farm. He got married last year and gave me his farm. It was fairly small but filled with almost every edible plant on Onshoren. Lord Damon used to employ my brother before Joshua quit and he hired me instead.

We ate the rest of the meal in relative quiet. The food was delicious and I absolutely missed this. I was so tired though from working in the heat earlier though. I was moving slowly and felt heavy. I couldn’t wait to go to bed because I knew I would pass out immediately.

“Jayen, sweetie, if you want to go to bed we can show Aoife to her room and clean up.

“Are you sure?” I rubbed my eyes. I didn’t realize how tired I was until I ate.

Kuna nodded and I stood up. “Goodnight everyone. I’ll you tomorrow Aoife for your actual first day.”

Aoife smiled at me and I left the room. They continued talking but I was too tired to hear what they were saying. When I got to my room I took off my shoes and flopped onto my bed. I didn’t even change out of my uniform. Who cares if this one got wrinkled I had others. I’d missed the feeling of being so tired I didn’t have to worry whether or not I’d fall asleep that night.

Within minutes I was out.