xxxviii

Jayen

We drank in silence for maybe an hour until I saw a familiar face in the doorway. Kuna was peeking in from the entrance. They were clutching an envelope in their hands. As soon as we made eyecontact they ducked out of the doorway.

 I didn’t feel like going after them and just sank into my seat, savoring the warm feeling of the Kin in my system. I wasn’t intoxicated though. You can’t get drunk off of it. I closed my eyes and when I opened them again Kuna was walking in. They didn’t have the envelope this time.

They slid into the booth next to Goon. “Who let you out? You’re still injured. And you’re drinking?”

Goon slapped their back and laughed. “It’s just Kin!”

Kuna swatted his large hand away. “She fainted earlier! You should be resting!”

“No.” I frowned.

They stood up. “C’mon, we’re going back.”

“No.”

“Jayen please--”

“I’m not going back. At least not right now.”

Goon laughed. “You’re sitting at a tavern in wrinkled clothes, no socks, and tears on your face. You should probably head home”

They crossed their arms. “Jayen the lady’s worried about you. You just disappeared.”

“Did she send you to come get me?” I stood up too. I was admittedly feeling better. I should really go home with Kuna, I shouldn’t have left--especially not the way that I did.

“No. She didn’t.” Kuna shook their head. “She was searching all over the mansion though. She thought you had fallen and hurt yourself.”

I glared at them. “Then why are you here?” Why did I feel so angry at Kuna? They’re just trying to help me.

Kuna shifted their weight from foot to foot. “I was mailing a letter for someone. I was looking for the Mailman.”

“Fine.” I finished off the glass. “Let’s just go.”

Goon waved as I left with Kuna. It had gotten colder since I had last been outside. Kuna handed me their wool cloak and told me to keep warm. I scrunched up my nose at the texture but put it on anyway. I walked behind them slowly. 

When the estate was in view again all my anxieties were replaced with relief. Alexandra was standing in the front yard. Her back was towards me and she had a fire in her hand. The fire was a bright orange and flickered like a heartbeat.

“I found her!” Kuna yelled.

Alexandra whipped around, her eyebrows knit together and she closed her fist, putting out the fire. She ran towards us and nearly knocked me over. “Jayen! Ma chérie, where have you been?” She wrapped her arms around me and buried her head in the crook of my neck despite our height difference.

“I’m sorry. . .” I kept my arms at my side and Alexandra let me go. She looked worried and she studied my face.

“Can we all go inside?” Kuna asked. “It’s weirdly cold out here.”