xx.

Jayen

When I came too it was morning. The chair and Lady Dupon were long gone. Was that even real? My head was pounding and my mouth tasted like dead leaves. How long was I out? I took the potion sometime afterwards in the carriage on the way back. I don’t remember much. I think I was laying on the lady’s lap at some point because everything was swaying. I put my hands over my face, that’s so embarrassing.

I looked over to Aoife’s bed, it looked like it hadn’t even been slept in. Where did she stay? Was she laying with me last night? I felt my stomach flutter, just slightly.

The door opened and Devi was standing there, holding a bowl. “Good to see you’re alive.”

“Was it that bad?” I groaned.

“Yeah, it was pretty rough.” She handed my the bowl, it was a creamy soup. “Aoife was pretty worried about you. I though she was going to kill Jinan for a while there.”

“Jinan? Why? What happened?” I sat up.

“Nothing, I don’t think. He was carrying you in but he got really mad when she took you from him. She carried you bridal style.” Devi sat on the edge of my bed. Her eyes looked sunken and her cheeks had no color in them. Her hair was tangled and messy.

“Dear Seves! You look worse then I do! What happened to you?”

“I ran out of Nectar last week. I haven’t gone to get more, I don’t have the money to.” Devi tilted her head. “But I think I know a way to get more money if you have the energy.”

I raised an eyebrow. Devi was always scheming and cheating systems. “What is it?”

She pulled a piece of colorful paper from her breast pocket. She handed it to me and I unfolded it carefully. It was a flyer for some competitions in a neighboring town. There were strength tests, mental tests, and duels. 

“What do you want me to do exactly?” I asked her.

“Read the bottom.”

“‘Herbalists wanted’?” I looked at her. “What does that mean? Would you get paid more if I showed up?”

“If you can prove you’re an Herbalist and win a competition we would win double the price!” Devi stood up. “With my planning and your. . . plant-y-ness, we could win 10,000 diin!”

“10,000?” That was a lot of money, that was enough to buy a horse!

“There is one thing though.” Devi sat down again and clasped her hands together. “You’d need to duel someone.”

“Who are the competitors?” Dueling wasn’t out of the question, it depended entirely on whoever was going.

“You get to bring your own and I was think that you could-”

“Jinan.”

“What?”

I shook my head. “I want to duel Jinan. I’m stronger now. I’ve wanted to do this for a while, please.”

Devi grabbed my hand. She was freezing cold. “Talk to the lady about that. But between you and me. . . I think you should do it and I’ll think you’ll win.”

I smiled weakly, my head still hurt. “I will. When does it end?”

“Tomorrow, you have to register today though,” she said. 

I nodded and Devi stood up. “Can you register me?”

“Yeah, now eat your soup.” Devi grinned and walked away, shutting the door behind her.

I could do this, I could win. Well, I mean, I think I can. I haven’t duelled anyone since me and Joshua would spar together. I would use his old sword and some of my Herbalist abilities. I learned that if I drank some lavender tea infused with pollen from a few flowers, I wouldn’t get tired quickly. All I had to do was ask for permission from the lady. . . 

After I finished my soup my head felt a lot better. I rubbed my eyes and looked at my hand, the cuts were completely healed over. There wasn’t even a scar. I put the bowl down on the tabel and got up to get ready. I was wearing the same clothes I wore to the Town. 

As I was changing I paid attention to my movements. I felt. . . better. Better then I had in years. I felt smooth and like I could run up a mountain. What was even in the potion? It doesn’t matter, what matters is that I feel better.

I opened up the door and stepped into the hallway. It was completely quiet. Where would the lady be? I’ll check the garden first, maybe I’ll find Aoife too.

“Jayen!”

I whipped around to see Kuna stepping out of the shower room, their hair wet and messy. They smiled at me and waved.

“I thought you were going to be out for a while.” Kuna said.

“How long was I out?” I asked. “It couldn’t have been that long.”

“You were out for a day.” Kuna rubbed the back of their neck. “Aoife was really worried. . . so was the lady.”

I raised an eyebrow. “So she was in my room?”

Kuna’s eyes widened. “She was in your room?”

“Um, maybe?” I shrugged. “I was pretty out of it. Speaking of Lady Dupon but have you seen her? I have to ask her something.”

“I wouldn’t.” Kuna sighed. “She’s been on a war path lately, changing everything. She’s been sulking around too. I don’t know what happened to her.”

“I don’t think I have a choice.” I laughed awkwardly. I wanted to help out Devi and I wanted to duel Jinan. Just because he sucks.

“Yeah okay. I don’t know where she is, you should check the garden.”

I nodded and turned away, walking down the hallway. I’m going to have to train too, just a little bit at least.

Outside was dreary. The sun was covered by a blanket of gray clouds. There was a cool breeze. It was probably going to rain. Thank goodness. The plants could really use it. 

Aoife was kneeling by some roses. She had a bucket next to her and her hair was tied into a bun. I looked around before walking towards her. The lady wasn’t here.

“Aoife!” I yelled.

She turned her head to look over at me. “Jayen!” She stood up and ran over to me, smiling.

“What have I missed?”

She wrapped her arms around me in a hug. “I was worried about you. What even happened?”

I hugged her back. “I took something to heal my hand.”

She pulled back. “I want to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

She shook her head. “Nevermind. Remind me later though. I have a lot of work to get done.”

“Oh.” I was disappointed. I wanted to talk to her, not about anything specific, I just wanted to talk to her.

“I’ll see you later though.”

“Have you seen the lady anywhere?” I asked.

Aoife crossed her arms. “No, why?”

“I want to ask her something.”

Aoife turned away. “Try the library.”

Was she upset with me? “Thank you! I’ll see you around okay?”

Aoife just waved me off and kneeled down by the roses again. I shrugged and walked back to the house. I’m not going to lie, she kind of hurt my feelings but it probably wasn’t serious.