xxvi.

Jayen

Sunlight streamed in through the open window, falling across my face and the wall. I could hear Alexandra’s steady heartbeat and feel her even breathing underneath my head. I stayed like that for a couple of minutes before opening my eyes. She had taken her hair out of the bun and it was sprawled around her, the light was resting on her face. She looked peaceful.

She looked beautiful, as usual.

I untangled myself from her. She groaned and rolled over on her side, not waking up. I padded across the floor in my socks and opened the door. I looked at her one more time before leaving. 

I walked as fast and as quietly as I could. I’m sure Aoife would understand me being in the room to get clothes for the day. I wasn’t sure what time it was but I knew I was the only one up, well, maybe except for Ferni. Wherever he was.

I opened up the door to our room silently. Aoife was bundled in blankets, facing the wall. I felt a pang in my chest looking at her. I shook my head and got out a fresh uniform to change into. I left the room as silently as I entered and walked to the shower rooms. I felt like a teenager again.

Shoot! 

I didn’t register for the duel! Hopefully, Devi did that already. . . somehow.

I shook my head and took off the nightgown, folding it neatly in the corner before turning on the water. This time, I stood under the cold water until it warmed up. Today was the day I would be dueling Jinan if everything went according to plan. I heard the door open and someone walked down the hallway, turning on a different shower.

I let myself zone out as the warm water wash over me. 

“She’s a freak!”

I didn’t know how was talking I was hiding in my brother’s closet.

“She’s just a little. . . different.” That was my Father.

“You have no right to take her.” That was Joshua.

“She can do things that even Mr. Widmen can’t! She’s only seven, she hasn’t even gotten her Mark yet! Your Coven doesn’t even know if she’s an Herbalist!” The voice was getting louder and more irritated.

I turned off the water and grabbed a towel off the hook. I dried off my hair as best I could and got dressed. The other shower shut off at the same time. I stepped out the room, clutching the nightgown. Should I go wash it or return it? Or keep it?

The other shower room door opened and Devi stepped out. “Who’s clothing is that?”

“Did you register me and Jinan for the duel?” I dodged the question.

Devi put her hand on her hip, her long hair dripping water. “Not yet, did you get permission?”

“Yes. I just have to sort out the stakes with Jinan too.” 

“We can all take a carriage down there together. I’ll mediate your arguments if need be.” Devi laughed and threw her head back. “This’ll be fun.”

“You go wake up Jinan and I’ll get a sword. What time is it anyway?” I rubbed the back of my neck. It felt so early.

“Well, we were both showering for about an hour so it should be about seven. The contests and the duels don’t close though, the arena’s always open so timing wouldn’t be a problem.” Devi shrugged.

Wow, seven? So I woke up at six, I was feeling so refreshed and awake though. I wonder if the lady was up or if Aoife was awake. I felt weird calling her Alexandra, it seemed like such a personal detail for some reason.