xlii.

Jayen

It was surprisingly nice outside. The temperature was cool and there was a nice breeze. I took a deep breath and savoured the temporary silence.

“There you are!” The Forget-Me-Nots yelled. “You’ve been ignoring us! What could ever be more important than us?”

I knelt down next to them and lightly touched a few flowers. “I know. I’m sorry. There’s just been a lot happening. And you’ve had Aoife with you.”

They waved around. “She doesn’t talk to us like you do! She ignores us! She waters us then leaves!”

I frowned. Did I tell her to spend some time with them or to just water them first? “That may be my fault. She’s not--”

“She’s not a Herbalist! We know! We can see that.” 

“Wait what? You can see when people aren’t Herbalists?” My eyes widened. I didn’t know they could do that. I didn’t even think about them being able to ‘see’.

“Yes! Honestly, I can’t believe you didn’t know!” They swirled around. “It’s very bright. It’s a deep green and pulses with a heartbeat that is not your own.”

“What? Dei, I feel like I’m getting a life lesson right now.” I rubbed my forehead and stood up. I didn’t have the patience to think about what the plants are telling me right now. Auras? Heartbeats? Seeing? That’s too much.

A pair of arms wrapped around my waist and I smelled vanilla and plums. “You didn’t wait up for me.” Her voice was soft and sweet above my ear. 

I wrapped my arms around hers and relaxed into her. She was a little taller then me--maybe quite a bit taller than me. I’m eye level with her lips. Alexandra and I stayed like that for a few more seconds before she removed her arms from my waist. I felt colder without her against me.

“Shall we get to work?”

I turned around. She was wearing straight dark black pants with a plain green button up tucked into it. “We?”

“Yes. We. I am going to help you.” Alexandra put her hands on her hips. “I have a lot of ideas and I think you need more people to help you. Aoife. . . hm, well. Aoife gets sidetracked and distracted easily.”

“Wouldn’t you be distracting me?” I teased.

Alexandra smiled. “You’d be distracting me. Now let’s get to work.”

We worked side by side until the sun started to draw low in the sky. Sweat drenched my shirt and stuck to my back. It had started out fairly nice but the temperature had been steadily rising since noon. I wiped my brow, no doubt leaving dirt on my forehead.

“We’re still mad at you.” The roses flared.

These were the same ones I accidentally cut. “I’m sorry, ok?”

“Jayen, ma chérie, who are you talking to?” Alexandra asked. She was sitting a few feet away underneath the False Boxwood, a small glass of dark red liquid in her hand. Her working with me had only lasted an hour but she insisted on being out here with me.

“The roses. They’re still upset that I cut them. It was an accident!” I pouted.

“Hm, you did mangle the roses. I have a certain rose on my nightstand that proves it.” She took a drink, amusement twinkling in her eyes.

The roses howled. “Exactly!”

“Don’t take their side!” I crossed my arms. “I can never live this down! Nothing is harder than having flowers hate you. They’re flowers!”

Alexandra walked over to and sat down, leaving her glass behind. She brought her hand to my waist and leaned it so her face was by mine. I looked scornfully at the roses, refusing to break eye contact--if I could even make eye contact.

“Alexandra, roses are so mean. Do we have to have them in your garden? Why not Peonies? Those are symbols of luck and honor.” I frowned. I always wanted to grow peonies, I just never got the chance.

She lightly kissed my cheek, effectively bringing a blush to my face. “But roses symbolize romance, beauty, and love. Isn’t that charming?”

“Do we really need those? You’re already beautiful.” I chewed my cheek. “They also have thorns and they yell at me.”

She laughed and tugged my gaze away to look at her. “You think I’m beautiful?”

I studied her face, she was truly beautiful. Her pink lips were stained with a deep red and her eyes looked as if I was going to fall in. Her skin was soft and I wanted to cup her face but I kept my hands in my lap. “Of course I do. I mean. . . look at you.”

She blushed a slight pink color and didn’t respond. Instead she kissed me. Her lips were soft and she cupped my face with one hand. This kiss wasn’t like the last one, it was quick and my mouth was filled with the taste of wine. I didn’t move, unsure if I was allowed to hold her. I didn’t know what we were, if we were anything. 

Alexandra pulled away and I slowly opened my eyes. She was looking past me, almost frozen in place as her eyes narrowed. I turned to see Maj standing at the porch. She looked as if she was going to go back inside but walked--more like ran--towards us. Alexandra dropped her hands and leaned back, straightening her back.

“My lady! I’m very sorry for the interruption but I must borrow Jayen for a minute,” Maj said. She was out of breath. Her eyes sparkled.

“If it’s necessary, then okay.” Alexandra nodded. Her voice was cold and formal again.

I got up and followed Maj back, keeping up with her pace. “What happened? Is it Aoife? Joshua?”

“Oh no, nothing bad. You’ll see.” Maj wheeze-laughed.

We raced through the mansion, ducking past rooms and through hallways. What happened? If it was nothing bad that happened then what? Was it somebody’s birthday? Have I forgotten something important? We ran all the way to the dining room in the servants wing.

The room was empty aside from a singular person who was sitting at the table.