xxiv.

Jayen

After she left I changed quickly, peeling the wet clothes off of me. The nightgown was soft and smelled like Lady Dupon. It took a little while longer until I felt confident that the blush was off my face. It was maybe five minutes before I opened the door to let her know I was done.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"For what?"

"I saw your mark. . . I know how personal and rough that can be for some people. I don't want to ever make you uncomfortable or cross a line." She grabbed my hand. She was so different from Jinan. . . How could she have possibly employed him? Should I ask?

"It's okay." I shrugged. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Would you want to see my Mark?" Lady Dupon lowered her eyes. I was suddenly very aware of how tall she was.

I was suddenly curious but I think that might've been too far. . . "Maybe we shouldn't. . ."

Lady Dupon nodded. "Of course I'm sorry. I was trying to find a way to even this out."

I got an idea. "You have to answer one question of mine. Honestly. With no judgment from either of us."

"That seems fair. I'm so sorry. Can you show me the same respect and stand outside while I change?" Lady Dupon stood a little straighter.

I didn't respond but stepped outside and shut the door behind me. What question should I ask her? I could ask her literally anything. . . But why was she so. . . weird about seeing my Mark?

Joshua told me once that Marks are different for everyone. Some Covens taught their members that showing Marks are a sign of intimacy, others are taught that it's not a big deal. Mr. Widmen taught us that Marks are no big deal but to be careful of who we show them to. What Mark would the lady have? The Normal Mark, a line across the stomach? Or would it be something else?

I was interrupted from my thoughts by the lady opening up the door. She was wearing a similar nightgown and her hair was in a bun, some curls were already escaping.

"I know it's a little early to go to be but I thought it would be nice to spend some time together. We still have to plan out the garden and. . ." Lady Dupon shrugged.

". . . Can we watch the rain?" I wrung my hands together and she nodded, her eyes were twinkling in the candlelight.

She stepped aside to let me into her room again for the third time that day. She sat in her chair by the window and I tentatively sat on the edge of her bed.

"Please, make yourself comfortable and ask me your question." She crossed her legs.

I laid down across the bed with my feet hanging off and facing the window. I was on my stomach and I folded my arms under my head to look at her and out the window.

"Why did you hire Jinan?"

She looked taken aback by the question. "What do you mean?"

"Answer my question first."

"Jayen, I'm not sure how to answer that."

"Just. . . why did you hire him of all people?" I frowned.

She rested her head on her hand. "I didn't. My late husband did."

I looked at her, waiting for her to continue. I didn't think she would have a husband for some reason.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "I'm not sure why he hired him. Raphael. . . was never one to share his reasons. Once he. . . passed away, I had to keep Jinan employed. My husband had signed a long contract."

"I'm sorry for your loss." That's why she was wearing the veil.

"What?"

"You said he passed away."

"Oh, Jayen. He did, but there is no need to be sorry! We should rejoice!" Lady Dupon smiled. "Now, can you tell me why you asked?"

"I have a better idea, well, I guess it goes along with that." I shrugged, fully relaxing. "We ask each other questions, when you don't want to answer a question you can just say 'skip' no questions asked."

Lady Dupon nodded. "That seems fair. Let's do it. Would I go first?"

I agreed and she asked the same question. "Jinan and I. . . we used to date."

She looked at me expectantly. "And?"

"Nope, that's a separate question. It's my turn," I said.

She rolled her eyes. "Of course you'd count that."

"I want to clarify that you can skip questions. What's your Mark? Like, what's your ability?" The rain was rhythmic and made me feel a little sleepy.

"I'm an Elementalist. A Poly Elementalist." Lady Dupon looked at me. "Do you know what that means? And that's not my question."

I laughed. "No, I don't know what that means."

"It means I don't have a set ability, I have more than one. I'm a Fire, Storm, and Earth Elementalist."

I stifled a yawn. "That's so cool."

"What happened with you and Jinan? You look so comfortable right now, I think you like my bed better than I like my bed."

I laughed at her comment. "You're more than welcome to join me. Come lay with me, my lady." I stretched my arm out and patted the space next to me. She got off of her chair and climbed on next to me, laying on her stomach and facing the window.

I rolled my head over to look at her. "He was abusive."