xxxi

Aoife

When I woke up the house was quiet. I hadn’t done any of my morning exercises in a week and I felt stiff. I crawled out of bed and got dressed. The room felt empty and odd without Jayen in here but I guess that was for the best.

I don’t know why I had fallen for her so fast. My momma had always told to be careful with who I’m around. Ever since I was a kid I would get attached to everyone and everything. One time, I had gotten emotionally attached to a plant my momma was watching for a neighbor. I cried when we had to give the plant back. . . I was twelve.

“Aoife, I need help out here. Get up.” Kuna knocked on my door as I was reaching for the handle.

“I’m coming. . .” I opened the door. Kuna’s hair was messy and they had flour all over their apron.

“I heard what happened with Jayen.”

“Oh.” Heat rose up my neck. “That’s embarrassing.”

Kuna placed a heavy hand on my shoulder. “It’s okay, it happens. I’m sorry about the lady though.”

“What?”

“Nothing. C’mon. We’re making a dinner for Jayen if she wins or poisoning Jinan’s food if he wins.” Kuna laughed.

“You can’t--”

“I’m joking, don’t worry. But I will be making a dinner that we can all eat together. You guys won’t have to eat leftovers of the meals last week. I learned my lesson with making a lot of food!”

Ferni walked past the door and Kuna grabbed him by the elbow. “Hey! What gives!”

“Just the man of the hour! You’re coming with us to make some food and you’re going to tell us about your dream.”

“Dream?” I asked.

Ferni shrugged. “Okay, it’s not certain but sometimes I can see pieced of the future in my dreams. Sometimes it’s spot on other times it’s completely incorrect.”

“Oh you can do Oneiromancy?” My eyes widened. “Are you a Celestial?”

Kuna laughed. “Real bright, kid! It took me years to figure that one out!”

The kitchen was a mess. Flour was everywhere and there was a pile of pots and pans in the sink. The kitchen was fairly large. We could all move around comfortably without touching each other. Ferni immediately went to the counter and started wiping up the flour.

“So what happened in your dream?” I asked as I turned on the water.

Ferni grinned at me. He looked just like Devi except his eyes were gray opposed to her blue eyes. “Well, you know the emperor right?”

“Not personally.”

Kuna laughed. “Of course we know Emperor Claesson.”

“I had a dream he released a new set of laws to get back at his ex-lover.”

“What kind of laws?” I asked. The pots had a little bit of burnt food stuck on the side.

“Anti-homosexuality laws. Listen, I know being openly queer is still very difficult but at least it’s not illegal.” Ferni sighed. “Instead of a Coven leader making their own rules, you’ll be arrested and taken to the palace if you’re open.”

“Wow. . . what if you’re Covenless?” Kuna asked.

“Doesn’t change anything. You’d be arrested.”

“He did all that because somebody left him?” I exclaimed.

“Yeah. His lover had gay parents and he wanted to hurt her family.” Ferni looked down. “It was a pretty vivid dream but it was also shimmery.”

I tilted my head. “What does that mean?”

“It means that it could very much happen but that some details might not be exact. Keep an eye on the Newsboy in Town and look out if we found out the Emperor's lover left him!” He laughed.