xxvii.

Maj

I wasn’t sure what was happening. All I saw was the two of them very close together then Lady Dupon pushing Jayen away. Jayen looked hurt and nearly fell over but my attention was on the lady. I wasn’t going to let the lady hurt Jayen, the poor girl has been through enough.

 “I apologize for the interruption. I was coming to wake you, my lady,” I said, my voice was monotone. I didn’t want Jayen to think she was in trouble. Dei, I felt like a mother right now.

“I, um. I should be on my way.” Jayen lowered her head and I stepped aside to let her out of the room. The lady looked embarrassed.

“Thank you, Maj. That was very kind--”

I jabbed my finger at her, “Stay away from Jayen. She doesn’t need you using her and mistreating her. She’s just starting to heal.”

Jayen

Devi was standing outside next to a small wagon pulled by a black horse. Jinan was sitting at the front, holding the reins. Devi waved at me and Jinan put on a pair of red tinted sunglasses.

I took a deep breath and steadied my hands. “Are you ready?”

Devi nodded and jumped in the back. Jinan stretched his arms over his head before nodding. I sat down next to Devi and Jinan moved the horse along. The wagon bumped against every rock. The wagon was made of a thick wood, providing no cushion.

“So. . . Jinan, are you ready to duel Jayen?”

Jinan snorted. “Yeah sure. Are you ready to lose, Jay?”

I clenched my jaw. “Don’t call me that.”

Devi clasped her hands together. “Let’s talk stakes!”

“I got one,” Jinan said instantly, “when I win you have to nice to me. And you have to stop spreading lies about me.”

“When I win you have to leave me alone. And you have to leave the mansion.” 

“That’s too much,” Devi said, “he can’t just stop working. . . what about, he has to switch to a job or shift that stays away from you.”

Jinan shrugged. “I can’t leave. I have a contract.”

“Fine. Switch to the night shift with Ferni, do not talk to me--and leave everyone alone. You can’t be mean to anyone.”

“Fine. If you get three things I get three things. You have to be nice to me, stop telling lies, and you have to do whatever I say for a day. . . within reason.”

“Okay, that. . . that’s probably as even as it’s going to get. Everybody agree?” 

Jinan and I both agreed.

“Okay shake hands.”

Jinan pulled the wagon to a stop and reached his hand out to me. I took a deep breath and took his hand in mine. His hand was large and rough with callouses. Devi pulled out a string and held it with both hands. When it glowed a golden color she broke it into two pieces. She tied a piece on my wrist and one on his. Once the knots were tied the strings stopped glowing and we dropped our hands. The deal has been made. If either of us were to break it, our hand would be burnt off. Yay. . .

Jinan’s eyes were wide. “How did you. . .”

“A Celestial never reveals her secrets.” Devi leaned back and Jinan started the wagon again.

“I didn’t know you were a Celestial,” I whispered to her.

She shrugged. “It took me a while to learn I was one. I was actually a foundling. My father found me in the middle of his wheat field when I was a baby.”

“Oh. You never told me that.” 

“You never asked.”

We rode the rest of the way in silence. Devi occasionally gibing directions or telling him to hurry up. I let my mind wander to what could happen if I won. How amazing that would be. I would be able to relax in  the estate. The only times I’ve been able to fully relax was when I was laying with Alexandra and when I was by Aoife. . .