Chapter 38 : Summer Vacation Arc II

AUGUST 7.  2018.

It's been about a week now since our dear protagonist shut down, and he has still not recovered.

He was currently laying on the floor of his bedroom, facing the ceiling as he breathed slowly.  His silence would not last for much longer as his phone rang, and he picked it up, seeing that it was his good friend Fuutarou.

"Yo, Daisuke."  Fuutarou said.

"Ah, it's you, Tarou..."

"Huh?  Are you okay?  You sound dead."

Daisuke cleared his throat before he got it together.

"Yeah, I'm fine.  What's up?"

Fuutarou hummed in suspicion but continued nevertheless, "Raiha wants to go to the beach tomorrow.  It'd be a pain to go with just us two, so I wanted you to join us.  Is that okay?"

"Oh, for real?"

"Mhm.  Raiha's really adamant about going."

Daisuke smiled at the mention of his friend's younger sister. 

"So are you joining us?"

Geh!

Daisuke suddenly choked.

'The beach sounds like fun, but...'

He remembered Itsuki's treatment last week and froze momentarily, before shaking it off. 

'No...I have to address my feelings this time.'

"Yeah.  I'll go."

~

AUGUST 8. 2018.

"S-She's...not here?!"

"Huh?  Who's this 'she' you're talking about?"

Fuutarou chirped from the side.

"Huh?  I-it's nothing..."  Daisuke replied as he re-surveyed the area, just in case he was mistaken.

A squeaky voice then squeaked its way into the conversation.

"Onii-chan!  Get out from the shade, you're at the beach so you might as well go swimming!"

'I know from Itsuki-chan that they're all supposed to be here today...well, meeting by chance would be good, too, teehee!'

Raiha has become a bit precocious at her age now that she's in middle school.

The sound of footsteps heading their way made Raiha turn her head.

"Oh, what's this?  You guys came too?"

"It's been awhile, have you been enjoying your summer?"

"Oh, if it isn't Uesugi and Tokugawa, the jackasses."

Takeda and Maeda made their presence known.

"Nope...," Raiha bluntly stated.

"You two...what are you doing here?"  Fuutarou asked.

"It's not just us, the whole class arranged to meet here today.  Didn't you get the email, Mr. President?"  Maeda replied.

"Huh?  Now that you mention it, I haven't really checked my emails since the summer began."

Fuutarou straightened his back before acknowledging his loneliness.

Daisuke smirked at that before he looked to where the rest of the class were.