chapter viii : let's party like highlands

│   ◢◤◢◤ TW: mentions of drug addiction, drug dealing, and sex toys

└——————— - [ 📼 ]. +
w.c.: 2.2k+

♥ →→ from previous chapter

— irregular pops ruptured from the microwave; there was an endless pile of the bones of kernels, a metamorphosis of crackling on a rotating plate. there was no light in there. the kernels were stuck in the mushy walls of salt, sweating in a sauna rubbed against their peers and screaming and clawing for help in the form of pops before they blossomed into edible flowers. once the pops began to space out, noises calming and fizzing away like ocean foam, the microwave's clock reached 0:00.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

i put my phone down and slipped off of the counter. i stumbled towards the microwave, reaching up and pressing cancel. the timer instantly switched to display the time. 12:13.

i pressed the sleek button on the side that opened the microwave door, pinching at the top of the bag of steaming popcorn and placing it on the counter from across the room i was recently sitting on.

i closed the microwave door and retrieved two bowls from the cabinet next to it; one for me and another for hannah. as i was turning around, i almost startled myself, thinking i saw a bloody apparition.

it was just callahan. i forgot how quiet the dude's footsteps were.

"jesus christ, cal. you almost scared the shit out of me." i admitted my thoughts aloud, traversing across to the counter and placing the bowls down beside the hot popcorn bag. while doing so, i saw a slick smile reside on callahan's face, him shrugging his shoulders as if sneaking up on people was his everyday core talent.

i leaned my hands up on the counter. "need anything?"

i watched him bring up his hands and talk in sign language. "yes. can you help me?"

i quirked my eyebrow but nevertheless accepted with a firm head nod.

i followed callahan down the hall into another small hallway hidden behind bead curtains. at this point, i knew where i was going to and what type of questions he might ask me — what they'll be related to.

when we reached the door to his office, he reached into a small storage table and took out some dust masks with thick respirators attached to the sides.