chapter vii : new york nail school

│ ◢◤◢◤   TW: drugs, mentions of porn and murder

└——————— - [ 📼 ]. +
w.c.: 4.3k+

→→→ friday, march 24, 2063

→→ f/n's pov.

RING. RING. i felt a groan escaping my dry mouth, eyes fluttering open with the combination buzz-ringing of my phone alarm.

i quickly reached over and shut it off, placing the phone face down on the nightstand and sighing in my pillow. it was going to be another simple morning. i didn't mind it. i just didn't feel like getting up.

i took a short time to sit up and stretch out, feeling the joints in my back pop in satisfaction. scanning around my bedroom, it was shrouded in complete darkness, some sparkly grey lumps here and there. i could make out the outlines of my cluttered laundry and a mess that spilled out from the open closet door. that reminded me i really need to vacuum in here.

when i finally got up, feet touching the floor, i automatically navigated towards the bathroom, finger switching on the light. there wasn't much to do in the morning (thank god for late night showers). i just had to make myself look presentable, spritz some decent cologne/perfume, and i'm off.

i was done in less than twenty minutes, already shutting the condo door behind me. i was surprised to turn around and see my neighbor across from me also exiting their condo, making eye contact with me and saying a quick greeting before retreating down the hallway.

to be honest with you, i don't really know my neighbors well. and from living here for over three years, people tend to treat condominiums like motels or airbnbs. they weren't the most popular compared to apartments but they were still a reliable option in the city. yeah the payments could possibly be higher and more fees are laid on your shoulders but having ownership of one felt like a dream. it felt more luxurious to say you owned, lived, and breathed in a condominium than an apartment.

this also meant that with people renting up rooms and leaving — because hell a city operates with fresh faces coming day in and day out — the faces of neighbors always changed. i remember some had some professional-ass master-degree-type jobs like an anthropologist, economist, and an anesthesiologist who moved down from the fifteenth floor. then there were neighbors who were stay-at-home, chill-and-do-whatever-i-want type people. like for example, the older woman i just saw. she and her daughter work together as street photographers, trying to make it big in the photography magazines.