Chapter Sixteen

Third POV

It was the day before Yule, the Potters were out getting presents. James was wondering the streets; he had found everyone a gift except for Cassia. Charlus and Dorea quietly followed their son but gave him his space, they didn't notice the presence of Hecate somehow, but James did. He spotted his girlfriend's mother outside of the pet shop and motioned for him to go in there. When he had entered the shop, he looked around until something caught his eye, a fox pup. It was a black fox, like Cassia's animagus, but had silver highlights in his fur, along with the white spot at the end of his tail, and it had amber, actually they might be gold, eyes. James reached a hand out cautiously towards the pup, the pup sniffing his hand before moving forward and allowing James to pet him.

James picked up the pup and turned to his parents, "I think I found Cassia's familiar," he told them. Charlus and Dorea looked happy, but the happiness went away when they faces the shop owner who was looking at James, paling when he saw what was in his arms. "That thing bites anyone that touches him," he said moving closer to James, only to hear a growl coming from the pup that was burrowing itself in James' arms. Charlus, Dorea, and James couldn't help but think it resembled Trix, Cassia's animagus, in a way. "Well, you're the one that had a fox here," Dorea said, walking out with her husband and son behind her.

After scaring the shop owner, the Potter family was getting ready to leave, until a jolt in James' head made him stop. He had seen a shiny, amethyst necklace in a shop window when he felt the jolt. He knew it was his creature, Jay, as people have come to call him. 'You want to buy that for Cassia?' he asked Jay, his parents now noticing he stopped from the yip the pup that was still in James' arms. Jay took over and handed Dorea the pup before walking into the store, stealing back some money from a guy with a debt (he couldn't help himself, the guy was right there, he had to Collect), and bought the necklace, before coming back out and letting James take control again, "Jay wanted to buy her a necklace," James said sheepishly.

"And steal money from a guy?" Charlus asked.

"He was right there, and he had debts he wasn't going to pay," James defended himself, tone going a higher pitch. "I mean the guy's in a jewelry store, he's got money and he's not going to pay back what he owes," he adds, not mentioning that as a punishment, he took quite a bit more.

They got home and James looked down at the pup that was looking around, "You're only staying here for the night, I hope you are her familiar," James said. The pup looked excited at the mention of a familiar, proving he was a magical fox.

The next day, everybody, including the other demigods and guards met at the Le Fay manor, and Severus was thankful he was looking normal at the moment. He came down the stairs, seeing people arriving with presents, and was surprised to find that he had some too. James and Sirius had actually gotten him something that would tell him what he needed to know about Lordships and what he would need to take charge of with their own notes, that were surprisingly helpful, in it. He had also gotten rare potion ingredients from Frank, of course he didn't know it wasn't his best plants. His best plants made for healing went to his girlfriend while others went to Cassia for her experiments.

Marlene had gotten a lot of clothes, while she was tomboy, she was still a daughter of Aphrodite, so she looooooooved clothes. Her favorite new piece of clothing was the leather jacket Sirius had gotten her that looked identical to his, but instead of showing the Sirius star on the back, it was a heart. Xeno had mainly gotten new ideas for tricking people who were bullying him, while Pandora got more tea to help her focus.

They had noticed Cassia being quiet about something and looking at the bigger box that James had brought, the one with holes in it, and James was smiling widely at that fact. He had assumed correctly when Hecate motioned for him to enter the shop that Cassia had a familiar in there.

When scratching was heard, everyone was now looking at the box, James had warned the fox to be patient, making the holes extra bigger so the pup could breath, but he assumed the pup might have been getting crowded in there now. James opened the box and out popped the fox pup, ignoring the gasps, except for one, he looked at Cassia and ran for her, jumping in her arms and snuggling in. "Familiar?" Regulus asked. Cassia nodded, hugging the pup to her when James spoke up again. "There's another thing," he said.

"Oh?" Cassia questioned.

"Yeah, apparently Jay wanted to get you something too," he said and pulled out the necklace. Cassia looked in awe at the amethyst necklace and immediately put it on, finding that the necklace did in fact make her eyes a bit more purple. She hugged James tightly and kissing his cheek once, "Thank you James," and then kissed his cheek again, "And thank you Jay," she said. James felt a lot of happiness in his head from Jay.

Orion and Braeden were talking, the fox pup sitting on Braeden's lap, foxes were some of the animals that liked faes after all. All the kids watched as Orion handed something to Braeden, and he looked at it, read a note, and opened the small box, "You bitch," he said looking back at Orion in fake offense. He pulled out the treacle tart and started eating it, ears going more pointed to show his fae side was starting to come out as he ate the tart. "I'm not sharing, you got a familiar, I get this out of bribery," he said to his pouting daughter.

"What was the bribe?" Sirius asked.

"He gets the treacle tart if he adds extra protection to the safe house I made for your cousins and their husbands, along with Rabastan and any other who was trying to escape," Orion said looking at the angry fae who chomping on his treacle tart.

"So Cassia, what are you naming your familiar?" Alice asked.

"Merlin," she immediately said, the pup yipping happily in response.

"Why?" Frank asked.

"So I can pull a Sirius when someone uses Merlin's name in vain and joke about it being my fox," she responded, high-fiving Sirius after.