Tired [Denjiro x Reader]

Notes:
-Spoilers for Wano arc.
-Female body reader.
-Just a short, mini-angst one.
-I really like Denjiro. That's all.

<<>>

It was quiet tonight.

You sat outside, thinking, able to hear everything loud and clear. The occasional sound of the shishi-odoshi, the rustling of leaves in the wind, the sound of a teardrop.

Your own teardrops.

You were loyal to Kozuki Oden as one of his retainers. You had faith in Toki's prophecy. You hated Orochi with every fiber of your being.

But it had been 19 years. You were serving under Orochi for far too long. You knew you were one of his favorite oiran after "Komurasaki". You had to pretend you liked him, pretend to enjoy his company, pretend to be okay with him touching you, when all you wanted when you were in his presence was to lop his head off and make him suffer for all that he has done.

But you couldn't. Not when Kaido had his back and could make everything worse, and lose everything you and everyone else have been working towards. Not when you were this close, able to gain intel no one else could. You would not allow Komurasaki—Hiyori—to play this part. You would have to be the one this close to him, gain his trust, and endure it.

You have been doing that for so long. Too long. Could you really last another year of this life? You were tired of it.

You heard footsteps behind you. It was Denjiro, you knew, back from his trip of playing a different identity, giving away money to the poor. It was risky, you both knew. But you trusted him and envied his confidence.

You quickly wipe away your tears, feeling unworthy of a samurai.

"[Y/N]?" Denjiro's voice called.

"Yes?" You couldn't help the quiver in your voice. The man behind you must have noticed it, as he quickly sat down next to you.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"It's... it's nothing," you lied, a little too carelessly. "I'm just thinking about how soon it will be until we can avenge Oden-sama."

"One more year," he agreed.

You avoided looking at him, knowing he'd see right through you. Perhaps he had done so already.

He brought an arm around you. "One more year," he repeated. He waited, and you knew he knew.

"How... how do you still keep going?" you asked. There was the tiredness in your voice. You were just about done with everything. You wanted nothing to do with Orochi anymore. But you had to press on. Everyone else was making it through the 20 years and playing their parts. You were able to as well, having gathered valuable information about both Orochi and Kaido. But... "I'm just so tired of this," you admitted.

He's silent for a moment. "I am too."

You finally faced him, tears much more easily falling now. Denjiro was looking straight ahead, frowning, and for a moment you could see his wrath-filled eyes soften.

"I'm tired of fighting the urge to drive my sword into that bastard's chest, I'm tired of playing the part of his bodyguard, I'm tired of restraining myself, and I'm tired of waiting." He lifted the fake pompadour off from his head and lets his long, straight hair fall. He sighed.

It was quiet again as you sat next to each other. It was nice to know you weren't alone in this feeling of temptation and restraint.

"But," Denjiro continued, a small, soft smile appearing as he looked at you, "I'm strong. You're strong. We can get through it. Then the payoff will be well worth it."

You couldn't help but return the smile. He leaned forward to kiss you, his hand rubbing your shoulder in comfort.

"I'll be here for you."