Lost in the Dark [Zoro x Reader]

Notes:
-The reader can see in the dark due to eye modifications.
-This chapter was inspired by SECRET TUNNEEEELLL!

<<>>

"We're meant to get lost here, alright?" Zoro huffed, flashing the light down the tunnels. "It's called the Lost Mines!"

"'Lost' as in the mines were lost, not the people traveling through it," you retorted. "You tell me how we got separated from the others."

"Shut up," he grumbled. He stopped and looked down at some pitfall you two passed, as if wanting to go down it for some godforsaken reason.

The crew had heard some things about a hidden passageway called the Lost Mines, and rumors of treasure in them. Both Luffy and Nami wanted to go, so, with their obvious superiority over the others, the rest had to follow.

And now, to no one's surprise, Zoro got lost, and he had to drag you with him. It was a good thing he had a flashlight and you could see in the dark almost perfectly thanks to your modified eyes, else the two of you would be in pitch black darkness in the cave.

"Here, hold this." Zoro held the small flashlight he had in front of you.

"Nope, I am not touching that." You wrinkled your nose in disgust.

"What, it's just Franky's nipple light."

Franky had detached his two nipple flashlights and given them to Zoro and Chopper, just in case.

"That is exactly why I don't want to touch that."

"It's just a flashlight!"

"Why can't you hold it yourself anyway?"

"I want to climb down this hole."

"Why?"

"It might be a way out."

"And why exactly do you think that?"

"Just a hunch."

You shook your head disappointedly. "Your hunch is what got us here, and still lost."

"Trust me, it's been leading us closer each time."

"Yeah, sure," you said sarcastically. You crouched down and looked down at the hole, knowing that it would definitely not go to an exit. "Hold it in your mouth or something, you do that with your swords."

"I don't want to put Franky's nipple in my mouth."

You snorted, rolling your eyes. "I think we should keep going down the tunnels, holes down will lead us nowhere."

"Fine." He stood back up, taking a final glance at the hole. "Lead the way, then, if you think you know the way."

"Better than you at least." You started heading for the next tunnel before the pit interruption. You in fact did not know the way any better than him, but at least you were sensical enough to know not to go even deeper down. That's where dead-ends usually were. If not that, danger and traps.

You suddenly stopped in your tracks, hit with realization.

"What's wrong?" Zoro asked, stopping behind you.

"You know, going down the pit won't hurt." You turned back. Luffy of course would go down the dangerous path with traps, because the dangerous path with traps usually led to the treasure. Even if it didn't, he wouldn't pass up a chance for adventure even if it meant death.

Zoro let out a satisfied huff, following you back.

"I can see in the dark," you said. "I'll climb down first and you just follow my voice." You started climbing down after an affirmative nod from the swordsman and the flashlight disappearing into his pocket. It wasn't too difficult, with rocks and cracks allowing you to move down stably. You clicked your tongue occasionally to let Zoro know the stable path down.

When you finally saw the ground, you hopped down and looked up at Zoro. "Ground level is here. Nothing much but more tunnels."

"Fun." Sarcasm dripped from his voice as he jumped down next to you, frustrated. As he took the nipple flashlight out and tried to turn it on, there was no light emitted. He turned it off an on again, but there was nothing but a brief flicker.

"Probably out of Cola energy considering it's been detached from Franky for a while now," you said nonchalantly. "You'll have to continue on blind."

"I've got Observation Haki, I'll be fine."

"I don't think you can sense walls or a small bump on the ground," you warned nonchalantly. You laughed as Zoro impatiently ran into a wall just as you said that.

"Shut up."

You stifled another laugh, then looked into the other tunnels, not affected by the darkness at all. All of them went too far to see what was deeper into them. You sighed, having second thoughts on going deeper down.

"Well, staying still will get us nowhere," you announced. "Let's go."

You watched as he felt around for the wall, but was able to follow you as you led the way through even more tunnels. It wasn't a minute in before he tripped over a rock.

"I swear, if I hear another giggle out of you...." Zoro cursed under his breath, refusing to walk like a blind man, which he technically was at the moment. The echoes of the cave made it seem like the cave itself was laughing at him, even though it was your own laughs.

You smirked, watching him suffer a bit more. Finally, you walked over and took his hand. "Here."

While you couldn't exactly see color in the dark, you could tell a deeper shade on his cheeks as you led him by the hand.

"You could just grab my wrist," he muttered.

"You could just grab my wrist," you said back with a smile.

He didn't move his arm to do so, remaining silent for a moment before saying, "Your hand's a better grip."

"Mhm," you hummed, leading the way blindly, metaphorically.

The next few minutes were silent as you navigated the way, keeping an ear out for familiar voices, or any voices for that matter.

Instead, you heard the sound of rushing water. Zoro seemed perk up at the sound as well, heading to the left before looking back at you as you held him back.

"It's to the right." You chuckled. He mumbled something under his breath before letting you drag him the other direction.

As you headed towards the source of the sound, you soon found yourself in front of a large rocky wall with the sound right behind it.

"Might be a waterfall behind here," you murmured. "There's a wall blocking the way out."

"I'll create a way out, then," Zoro said. He took out one of his swords and took a deep breath. He then slashed the wall quickly three times, and the wall broke apart, allowing light to flood in.

You and Zoro blinked, adjusting to the brightness. The two of you stood at a large pond, a waterfall flowing into it and down it.

"Why didn't you use all three of your swords?" you asked with a grin.

"You were holding my hand."

He tutted, looking around the area silently. "Didn't want get lost." He shrugged, then nodded to the top of the waterfall. "Think they're up there?"

You laughed at his attempt to be ignorant of what he was doing, but shrugged. "They could still be in the cave, who knows?"

"You want to wait up there?"

"We should stay in one place and let them find us," you said slowly, but shrugged. "But it'll be a good vantage point up there." You smiled at him. "And I'd love to take a walk with you."

You chuckled as he intertwined the fingers and walked with you to find a way to the top, a forced frown on his face hiding a smile.

"Whatever."