Mikan Trees [Nami x Reader]

Notes:
-Marine (?) reader

<<>>

Nami arrived at Shakky's bar with an excited smile on her face. It's been two years since she'd last seen her crew and she couldn't wait to reunite with them again. She was number three with Zoro and Franky before her, the former surprising her, knowing how often he got lost.

"Rayleigh will teach you how to operate a coated ship later," Shakky informed her. "Feel free to go on it now to see how it looks!"

Thanking her quickly, she ran out to see the Thousand Sunny in all her glory.

"Franky!" Nami called, looking around. There was no reply, and she assumed he was busy restocking and looking for Cola. She boarded the ship, taking in a deep breath. Home, but not yet, at least without her nakama.

<<>>

You knew the Strawhats would be arriving today, but you were still startled by the sudden call. You were way too focused on your task.

You looked out below from the mikan trees to see who had called. An orange-hairs woman stood smiling, looking around at the coated ship.

She was definitely Nami. Her figure was bustier and her hair longer, but you recognized her from the wanted poster two years ago.

She suddenly caught sight of you. Alarmed, she took out a long blue stick. "Hey!"

You didn't think you looked that threatening, but you supposed with your Marine uniform it was quite a surprise for the pirate woman. You raised both hands, watching calmly as she walked up.

"Who are you? What are you doing on Sunny?"

"Relax, I won't hurt you. I'm [Y/N]," you replied, grinning at her. "And you're Nami, yeah?"

"You're a Marine," she said, not responding to your inquiry nor lowering her weapon.

"Yep. I'm technically not supposed to be here. If my superiors were to find out, I'd be in big trouble." You shrugged. "Your crew is the only pirate crew I won't harm, don't worry. I helped take care of your ship while your crew was away anyway."

She lowered her weapon just a bit, more confused rather than cautious now. "I wasn't told about this."

"Huh, I guess Shakky didn't bother to tell you." You shrugged again, walking down. "Since you're all going to be back, I'll take my leave then."

"Wait. What were you doing here?"

"Someone had to take care of these." You gestured to the mikan trees and the flowerbeds. "Kuma and I took care of protecting the ship from pirates."

"Kuma?"

"Big guy, glasses, weird hat, paws on palms," you listed, then frowned at the memory. "He was really dedicated to protecting this ship for some reason, and he got really injured doing so. I tried helping him, but he attacked me as well. So I just laid low and tended to the flowers and trees, taking out other pirates if they come in my way."

"Why?"

You hesitated on your answer. "I've been keeping tabs on the crew." You gave her a mysterious smile. You could tell that she was frustrated talking to you, as you had no clear intentions or reasons, and you weren't trying to capture her despite being a Marine. "I knew your mother, Belle-mère, before she left. She kept in contact with my father, a Marine. I was told about you and Nojiko, and became a sort of pen pal with her. When you came back to that island about two years ago and kicked Arlong and his crew out, I was interested in where you'd wind up."

Nami seemed surprised at all the information you threw at her. "Nojiko never told me anything about you."

"I guess I know more about you than you do me, then."

"Do you know where Kuma is now?"

"Nope. He left after Franky arrived."

You could see the concern in her eyes, but she didn't dwell on it. Instead, she smiled at you, seemingly relieved that you were no threat. "Well, thanks for taking care of the plants. Do you want anything back for that?"

"No, no, it's not a problem. I enjoy gardening." You glanced over at the mikan trees, then on second thought, took a fruit. "I'll have one of these, actually." You stared at the fruit, thinking. "They mean something special to you, huh?"

"Yeah... feel free to take some. You did care for them, after all." She glanced up and down at her tree, smiling. "Are they special to you in some way?"

"It's just nice to have something simple to care for," you said softly after a pause.

Seeing your hesitance, she nodded. "It is. Thanks for not attacking me, by the way." She put away her blue weapon, smiling warily at you, but a smile nonetheless. "Do you have somewhere to be?"

"Yep. I gotta get going." You sighed. "Never quite wanted to be a Marine, but... it's the only thing getting me by at the moment." You laughed, turning around again to leave. "Well, I'm glad you're back with your crew and alive."

<<>>

Nami watched as you hopped down to the ground, a sort of sad smile on your face. A strange person indeed. Two years of tending to her mikan trees and Robin's flowers, wanting nothing in return other than a single fruit.

Did she really not know you at all? As she searched her memories, she could find nothing, but there was some sort of connection between you two. She didn't know what it was.

She shrugged it off for now, appreciating your work and dedication, but had other things to worry about, like when her other crew members were going to arrive and where they were.

She took a walk in Sabaody later, reuniting with Usopp and Chopper, and soon the rest of the crew. Chaos soon started up when Luffy arrived, catching the attention of Pacifistas and Marines. As they readied the ship to escape by submerging, Nami caught sight of you.

You were standing up in a tree, mikan in hand, watching the crew about to depart with longing in your eyes as other Marines chased after the ship. She spotted an older Marine appear next to you, and it seemed like he was scolding you.

She had a strange feeling in her chest and, against her better judgement, called out to you. "[Y/N]!" She waved her arms up, gesturing you to come.

You looked up, surprised. Ignoring the Marine next to you, you started running closer to the ship, much like the other Marines.

"Oi, Nami," Luffy called. "You know them?"

"...Yeah."

Despite her unsure answer, and the fact that you were wearing a Marine uniform, Luffy laughed and stretched his arm out to grab you. His rubber arm wrapped around your waist, then pulled you onto the ship.

"Nami?" you asked, confused.

Nami looked to her captain, and without saying a word, he nodded.

"Welcome aboard."