If I Charge, Follow Me [Luffy x Reader]

Notes:
-Includes major spoiler. Recommended you get at least to timeskip.
-Also includes small scene from Wano arc but it's not that important.
-Lots of time skips.

<<>>

You hated those three. Ace, Sabo, and Luffy. Luffy in particular; at least the other two had some common sense and logic.

You hated them especially when they got you involved in their shenanigans.

"It's gotta be even!" Luffy claimed. "Ace and Sabo teamed up so we gotta team up."

They were playing some sort of hide-and-seek-tag-capture-the-flag game.  You had no idea how it worked, but the older two insisted that you "help the crybaby".

Of course, you didn't really hate them, so you joined.

"I improved my Gomu-Gomu pistol," Luffy told you in a loud whisper as the two of you hid in some tree with the flag. "Let's got get them now when they least expect it! Now! I bet I can surprise them!"

"I'm staying here to protect the flag."

"C'mon, come with me!" he whined.

"I think an ambush is better," you suggested quietly. You doubted Luffy would be able able you surprise them at all. He'd have a better chance lying in wait—as much as he could with that energy—and catching them off guard like that. "And they'll most likely take the flag with them."

"Ambushing is boring." Luffy pouted at you. "Fine, I'll go by myself."

You watched as he left with an excited grin, looking as if ready to take on the world like always.

The two of you eventually won when Ace and Sabo left their flag unattended when trying to attack you, thinking you were able to make Luffy stay with you.

Perhaps not going with him was a good idea.

<•>

"Shut up," you groaned. "Who asked you, Rudolph?"

The red-nosed man glared at you angrily, continuing despite your words. "What did you say about my nose? Is this how you thank someone who saved you?"

You knew this man, Buggy, was a coward. It wasn't difficult to find someone like yourself.

The other prisoners were currently worshipping him as some great god or something. You glanced at the large beast that was defeated in the ground, not defeated by him, but instead someone with a familiar straw hat.

Your eyes widened as you recognized it. "Luffy!" you called. You pushed past Buggy without a word despite his angry cries, smiling.

He turned to you, clueless. He didn't seem to recognize you at first, but as you got closer, his smile widened. "[Y/N]? What are you doing here?"

It had been so long since you've seen him and Ace. You all had left on your own separate paths, and they became quite famous pirates; you not so much.

You got stuck in Impel Down, a famous prison holding dangerous criminals. You didn't think you were that dangerous at all; your constant, consistent flow of minor crimes must have brought your bounty up little by little until it almost matched or exceeded the other prisoners on the level. Perhaps that last crime was the last straw, though, and made your bounty skyrocket, you supposed.

"I got into some trouble," you said simply instead. "What about you?"

"I'm trying to save Ace," Luffy said. "He's at the bottom."

"I thought I heard his name," you said, more to yourself than him. "I didn't believe he would be caught like me."

"Well, I'm continuing down. You're coming with me, right?" Luffy beamed at you, the same smile like always.

You glanced at the other prisoners talking about escaping now, still praising Buggy. Freedom did sound nice.

"Of course," you said instead, tearing yourself away from that idea. It was stupid, selfish, and cowardly. You needed to save Ace and help Luffy.

<•>

Luffy charged into battle against three fucking Marine Admirals without a hint of hesitation.

You admired his bravery, yet felt that this was incredibly idiotic. It wasn't like you weren't also an idiot; you barely made it to the submarine with him and Jinbei with the amount of injuries you had.

"You're insane," you heard the surgeon say to you. You didn't know why he was even helping, but knew he was right. "You're an insane idiot."

That was right, too.

"Just help him, please," you said through gritted teeth.

When that Marine admiral attacked Ace and Luffy, you had went in to try and stop him.

Your body almost burned completely in the magma if it weren't for Marco and the others getting all three of you out.

But it wasn't enough to save Ace.

You didn't want to be a coward. You wanted to be like Luffy, confident and strong and unafraid. You wanted to follow him, and you almost followed him to death.

<•>

Onigashima loomed in the distance, bringing up anxious yet determined emotions.

You could trust the entire crew with your life, and they'd trust you the same.

This feeling of trust was one you rarely felt, but it was the best feeling ever when you did. It was a welcome feeling, knowing you can depend on someone other than yourself.

As you and the crew prepared to invade Onigashima, you took Luffy aside. "Luffy," you started. "I—"

"[Y/N]!" Luffy cut you off, a different smile on his face. It seemed less goofy than you were used to. "Thanks."

You tilted your head in confusion. "What?"

"For being with me for so long. I'm glad I have you." He giggled, pushing his straw hat up to look you in the eyes. It was... different, unfamiliar, but still the same carefreeness. "But if things go wrong, please promise me you won't do what you did before."

You paused, thinking back on what happened at Marineford. "I can't promise I won't follow you to death," you stated. "But I can promise you that I'll drag you from Death myself and bring you back. You're beating Kaido and we'll make sure of that."

He smiled back, the usual goofiness returning in his eyes. You never liked his tactics of charging on and attacking, but now, after so long, it felt right. It felt like it could never go wrong, despite all that's happened.

He was going to charge into battle and all of you were going to follow.