Home [Brook x Reader]

Notes:
-I had this idea for a Present Mic (from BNHA) but I figured I'd put this here for Brook instead.

<<>>

You considered yourself lucky to still be alive. You had minimal musical skills, and all you had was your guitar to get you by.

You walked along the shore, carrying your guitar and bag, finishing some takoyaki in your mouth. You had barely scraped up enough money for the day, but you had a small stomach and didn't get hungry easily.

You sat down on a flat rock, staring at the sea. You sighed, then swallowed the last bit of meat and settled your guitar on your lap.

You closed your eyes as you played, listing to the sound of the notes and the ocean mixing with each other.

"That was quite beautiful. Did you compose it yourself?"

The voice startled you as you turned to see who spoke. You were met with hollow eyes. Quite literally, as you saw only eye sockets rather than eyes from what seemed like a skeleton man. You only nodded to his question, shocked.

"Amazing. Although," he continued, "I just wanted to point out that your guitar is slightly out of tune. Not that I have ears to discern that. Yohohoho!"

You giggled at his joke despite your slight concern that a living skeleton was talking to you.

"Thanks," you finally said, smiling at him. "Erm... I'm not sure how to tune it. I don't have an ear for that... figuratively."

He laughed again, then held out a bony hand. "May I?"

You hesitantly handed him the instrument. He sat down next to you and you watched as he played the strings one by one, turning the tuning keys to adjust each one. Finally, he strummed them all at once, letting the sound ring out before handing it back to you.

As you played a few notes of the song, you realized that it did sound better and right. "Thanks so much!" you said, looking at the skeleton. "Are you a musician?"

"Indeed I am." He tipped his top hat to you. "Brook, at your service!"

"[Y/N]," you said, nodding back. As you replayed the song, he stood and seemed to pull something out of his cane. You realized it was a violin bow, and he put his violin up to his chin. He started playing along with you.

You found it incredible that he could play the song after just hearing it once. It was perfect, too.

When the two of you finished, he started playing a different song. You stopped, listening as he also sang lyrics to the music.

Yo-hohoho, Yo-hohoho,

Binkusu no sake wo, todoke ni yuku yo
Umikaze kimakase namimakase
Shio no mukou de, yuuhi mo sawagu
Sora nya wa wo kaku, tori no uta

Sayonara minato, Tsumugi no sato yo
DON to icchou utao, funade no uta
Kinpa-ginpa mo shibuki ni kaete
Oretacha yuku zo, umi no kagiri

Binkusu no sake wo, todoke ni yuku yo
Warera kaizoku, umi watteku
Nami wo makura ni, negura wa fune yo
Ho ni hata ni ketateru wa dokuro

Arashi ga kita zo, senri no sora ni
Nami ga odoru yo, DORAMU narase
Okubyoukaze ni fukarerya saigo
Asu no asahi ga nai ja nashi

Yo-hohoho, Yo-hohoho,

Binkusu no sake wo, todoke ni yuku yo
Kyou ka asu ka to yoi no yume
Te wo furu kage ni, mou aenai yo
Nani wo kuyokuyo, asu mo tsukuyo

Binkusu no sake wo, todoke ni yuku yo
DON to icchou utao, unaba no uta
Douse dare demo itsuka wa hone yo
Hate nashi, ate nashi, waraiba nashi

Yo-hohoho, Yo-hohoho,

He lingered in his playing position for a moment before bowing and sitting back down.

"That was nice!" You gave him a large smile. "You're an interesting... skeleton. What brought you here?"

"I heard enchanting music and followed it to you. What about you?"

"Ah.... I thought I'd camp out here tonight and stare gaze. The stars are very pretty."

"Yes, it is wonderful." He looked up, quiet. When he turned back to you after a pause, you somehow knew what he was going to say next. You shook your head with a smile. "Not that I have eyes to gaze at them with! Yohohoho!"

<•>

The next day, you crawled out of your sleeping bag feeling more refreshed than usual. As you noticed the sun halfway in the sky, you realized it was probably because you had woken up very late. Guess you'll have brunch again.

You looked around you, making sure you had your guitar in your guitar case and your bag with minimal essentials. As you did so, you noticed faint footprints in the sand.

So that skeleton Brook wasn't just a dream.

You packed your things, already missing the funny bones. You then started for a different part of the city you hadn't performed in.

You walked around in the city, buying yourself brunch with some leftover beli  and then picked a busy corner and set up shop there.

You started with your usual songs, the songs you've heard before and memorized. You only knew a few songs, and you had only that one song you composed yourself. Maybe this time....

You experimented after a while, moving your fingers on the strings to play the different notes.

Bink... binku... binkusu no... binkusu no sa... binkusu no sake wo....

You weren't the best at playing by ear. Suddenly, you heard the song playing again.

You turned towards the source, surprised. You tried to see into the crowd and find the person who was playing it. You finally caught sight of the same skeleton man last night. He was playing the song on his violin, at the same time scaring away some of the audience with his appearance.

You smiled, attempting to playing along with him. It wasn't perfect, but it worked a little better with the repetition.

You finally got it after a few more repeats, and the remaining audience didn't seem to mind, enjoying the duet.

When the two of you finished, he bowed, and you followed. Some beli were tossed your way, more than your usual performances despite the smaller audience.

"Brook!" you called once the crowd dispersed. "Nice to see you again."

"You as well. Not that I have eyes to see you with!" He laughed his signature laugh. It was contagious, as you giggled again at his joke. He then turned a bit more serious. "You're a street performer?"

"...Yeah."

"As a living?"

"Yeah," you said sheepishly, then half-heartedly attempted a joke. "Not that you know anything about living."

A light chuckle escaped his... teeth. "So you don't have a home."

"No."

"Well," he said, pausing for a moment to think. "I don't have a home either. Pirates don't have any other than their own ship." He extended a skeletal hand to you. "But I do have nakama and I'm sure my captain wouldn't mind.... Would you allow me to take you with me?"