Laughter [Robin x Reader]

Notes:
-Robin's my second favorite character and for some reason it took a while to get an idea for her.

<<>>

"No," you said groggily, with a hint of annoyance. "I have not seen her. I would love the money right now, so I would give her in immediately if I knew where she was. But I don't, so please, go away and don't come back."

You slammed the door in the Marine's faces. They had been here at least four times now thanks to some nobody who claimed to have seen the "Devil Child" around. They were still sweeping the area even though it was now the middle of the night.

Each time they knocked at your door, you heard the girl suck in her breath in fear.

You watched from the window as the Marines stared at your cabin with a suspicious look before leaving again. You watched for another half hour, shaking off your tiredness, and finally saw their ships leave. You breathed out and tapped your foot on the floor. "Robin?"

The cabin you lived in could only offer so much hiding space, and the only place you could completely hide her was under the floorboards.

There was a moment of silence, then a quiet, "I'll stay here for the rest of the night."

You raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure? I'm sure that's not very comfortable."

There was no reply. You crouched down and lifted the floorboards to see the teen curled up with tired and fearful eyes. She was shivering and there were bags under her eyes. You doubted she had been getting enough sleep the past few days. She looked the be around 15, almost your age.

"Hey," you said softly. "They're gone now. Their ships left."

"How can I trust you?" Robin scoffed. She glared at you, but you could tell that it held little fury and her body was just too tired.

You sighed. "Look." You pulled off the wig you wore and took out contacts that changed your eye color. "I have to hide from them, too. If I wanted to, I could have given you in and I would be much safer."

She stared at your changed appearance, not quite understanding but not questioning you about it. Her body was still shivering and it didn't seem like the blankets you gave her was doing much at all.

You sighed, then crouched down to make your way into the pit with her.

"What are you doing?"

"More the merrier. And warmer," you said simply. There was plenty of space under the floorboards and you could fit in next to her. When you adjusted the blankets, you felt her freezing cold hands brush against yours. You frowned, taking her hands in yours and rubbing them to create friction. "Wouldn't want you to get frostbitten, would we?"

Her face flushed a light pink, but she didn't seem to have enough strength to really stop you at all. "Why are you hiding from the Marines?"

You shrugged. "They think that I'd be a good government dog because I can't feel pain. They experimented with me before and I escaped. They wanted me to follow their orders, taking down pirates and such." You waved your hands as if brushing the thoughts off, and laughed. "But of course, who'd want their freedom taken away like that? The government thinks they can hide their weakness with one strong soldier."

You gave Robin a gentle smile. "And you? Did you really sink a bunch of ships?"

She hesitantly shook her head. "I learned how to read Poneglyphs from scholars. They're scared I'll find out the truth about the Void Century."

You laughed at her words. She jumped at your sudden outburst, confused and worried. "What's so funny about that?"

"Isn't that ridiculous?" you asked. "They're scared of you because you studied hard!" Seeing as she didn't seem to understand, you patted her shoulder and grinned. "If you make fun of the things you're scared about, they're much less scary."

"That's not how it works," she protested. "They're still the same no matter how you look at it."

"They won't be different, but you will." You laughed again. "Fake it till you make it, Robin."

She seemed to tense up and her eyes watered. You frowned, worried you said something wrong.

"You... you remind me of someone," she said. You saw a faint smile before it disappeared. "He said that when you're happy, you laugh. So when you laugh, you'll be happy."

"That's the same concept," you said. "Whoever said would understand what I'm getting at."

"Yeah...."

Based on the tone of her voice, you presumed that the person she was talking about was dead.

"Well then," you said slowly. "Why don't you try it?"

"What?"

"Laughing."

She looked at you with a blank stare.

"Look," you started. "Isn't it funny how the Marines, looked up to by millions of people, oh so powerful, came here four times and couldn't find a single person literally right under their nose?" She cracked a smile and you continued, "Even bounty hunters have seen your face plenty of times and look where you are: alive and kicking their asses with just your face on a poster."

You laughed cheerfully and heard a tiny giggle from Robin. "Dereshishi," she said softly, unsure of herself.

"Dereshishi," you repeated with a smile. You weren't sure where that came from, but she was smiling and happy.