Picky Eater [Sanji x Reader]

Notes:
-I really wanted to try writing a Sanji x gender neutral reader, and I'm quite happy with the way this turned out!
-Honestly many of the food opinions here are my own. I am the pickiest eater you would ever meet 😂

<<>>

Sanji was trying his darnedest to make the best meal you've ever tasted. You knew his determination and stubbornness, each time cooking up something different for you. He'd go out of his way to obtain different ingredients and experiment with just about everything.

Each time he gave you something new you complimented his cooking, giving him a smile and saying you loved it.

Truth was, it was always just a "meh" or a "bleh" for you. Sometimes, you'll be fine eating whatever he served, but it wasn't amazing, or you'd rather have something else, even if that something was also a "meh". Other times you didn't like it at all, preferring to have anything other than what he'd served.

You felt bad for the swirly-browed cook. He was used to having his food loved by everyone, able to catch the hearts and tastebuds of anyone with his cooking. You were the outlier, never impressed or in love with food.

Each time was another different dish to try, another guilty conscience crawling in your chest when you act like it's the best thing you've ever eaten, only for Sanji to see through your act and be disappointed in himself. He could always see through you, knowing you didn't actually love love it, and kept trying.

You had stopped trying to make him think you really loved his food after some time, and instead outright told him what your true thoughts were of the meal or serving.

And those thoughts were usually a "meh" or a "bleh".

The first time was curry, and he had discovered you had a sensitive tongue and could not take even the slightest amount of spiciness. (He had kicked Zoro in the face when he made fun of you for that.)

The second he made a variety of sushi. There were so many different types of fish on the Grand Line, you had to love at least one. But no, you found that you disliked seaweed and the fish was mediocre. Perhaps you had gotten sick of fish, after so long on the sea.

Next he tried hamburgers and sandwiches. There was also plenty of variety for you to pick and choose from, but they were all just... okay.

You knew that Sanji absolutely despised wasted food. You hated that you knew if you didn't like a certain food, you wouldn't finish it. You didn't like having someone else finish it for you or having Sanji serve you tiny pieces as samples for you to try. It was embarrassing.

Sanji also tried chocolate, thinking you may have a sweet tooth. While you did have preferences over dark, milk, and white, you weren't exactly all over it and loving chocolate.

Your pickiness extended to drinks. You weren't a fan of coffee or tea, juice was fine with its large variety, and Cola was just okay to you (to Franky's dismayed shock). The cocktails Sanji made for you was also varied, but you found them just "okay".

You sighed as you heard Sanji coming over to you, most likely with a new dish for you to try.

"[Y/N]!" Sanji called, twirling to you with a platter in his hand. "Try this!"

"I don't get why you try so hard to make me love something," you mumbled as Sanji set the tray down in front of you. He had never once took offense to anything you've said about his cooking.

"It's a cook's duty to create a meal everyone loves," Sanji replied.

You sighed again as he presented the new dish for you. You glanced over it, seeing that he always made the presentation appealing. You bit into it and you could hear Sanji take in a sharp inhale, waiting on your reaction and what you would say about the dish.

It wasn't incredible. It wasn't the best thing you've ever eaten. But it was good. So, "It's good," you said.

Sanji frowned, but said nothing more, thinking that it wasn't good enough for himself. "I'll try something else next time," he murmured, more to himself than you.

He sat down next to you as you ate the rest of the dish, deep in thought with his hand on his chin.

When you finished and he stood to leave with the platter, you sighed.

"Sanji, wait."

"Hm? Do you need something?"

You looked down, guilty. "You don't have to keep doing this. I'm satisfied with most of what you make. I don't want to constantly make you feel disappointed."

"I know everyone's favorite food on this crew except yours." He smiled at you. "I think of it as a challenge."

"Sanji, I just have a terrible taste in cuisine. I'm not a food person and I'm a picky eater."

"I'll just keep making different foods until you find one you'll love." He said it with so much confidence, you knew you wouldn't be able to change his mind. "I want you to know how it feels to taste something so spectacular, your tastebuds will burst! I will make something you love."

You laughed, appreciating his enthusiasm. When you had nothing more to say to stop him, he walked away with more pep in his step.

You loved that he was trying so hard for you, and that he had so much determination. If only you could pay back his actions by actually loving his food. Though what you really truly loved....