57. Three's a charm

Start from the beginning

"Oh? You're here too! Were you two having a little sleep over? How cute." Jin glanced over with a genuine fondness to see that their youngest was present as well.

"Mmm." He hums before suddenly standing up and going to the fridge. "Are you ready for exams?" Hoseok asks, glancing towards me. I take seat beside him.

"I guess." I reply.

"You'll be fine. You're a smart cookie." Jin adds at the sound of my lack of confidence.

"Am I?" I joke. Jin doesn't indulge me any more, instead giving a small eye roll before turning back to turn off the stove.

"Anyone else want a juice box?" Jungkook questions, head poking out of the fridge.

"Sure." I say, Hoseok adding to it.

Jungkook lazily hands the two of us drinks before he sits back down across from us, popping the straw in and taking a long sip. Jin was nearly finished with the egg rolls he'd made. They smelt amazing.

"Jia, after breakfast I can drop you off at school" Hoseok leans back, glancing over to me. I give a small nod, smiling at him. That would be nice.

"Alright. Time to dig in." Jin enthuses, joining us at the table. The stack of egg rolls he sets down before us looks too good to be true. Kook's the first to pick up his chopsticks and lean in to grab one.

"Thankyou." I look to Jin, but he shakes his head. "No need. Just accept this as an apology for not being around much."

He was right... I hadn't seen much of him recently, it was like that a lot of the time... But, more so recently. I slowly reached out, pinching a roll and picking it up.

"It can't be helped... right?" I threw back, meaning it to be light hearted but, it hadn't come out that way at all. The small falter in his smile gave away that it hadn't gone unnoticed by him.

"These have cheese in them, right Hyung?" Jungkook, who had been far too busy eating, piped up. "Of course. Who makes egg rolls without cheese" The oldest rebuts. If he wasn't so amused with the question he may have been mistaken as being offended by it.

The two broke out into light banter over egg rolls but I zoned out as my thoughts were dragged back to Jin. Words I'd recently exchanged with Joon cropping up. I'd disregarded his curiosity at the time, but, now that Jin was here... It hit me like a kind of epiphany. I barely saw him. I didn't know if it was the same for the others because I didn't live with them. I'd just assumed he was always home with them. Maybe I was wrong in my assumption.

"Are you not hungry?" Hoseok's voice pulled me back. Worry held in his gaze as he looked at me.

"Oh sorry, I was just thinking about my exams." I gave an awkward laugh, when had I become so good at lying.

"Think fast, square root of 4?" Jin shot from across the table, mouth half full of food. All eyes fixed on me as I panicked.

"Huh? Uhhhh. 2?" I threw back, wait, was it?

"Nice. See, you'll be fine." Jin laughed.

"Hyung" Jungkook bursts in to laughter, eyes crinkled cutely as he smiled.

"Ummm" Hoseok drawls, looking like he didn't know wether he was confused or like he was about to just give up and not say anything.

"Math isn't even a subject I'm taking..." I mumbled, knowing the small details probably didn't even matter.

After the three of us finished eating, I went to have a shower and get ready. Jungkook washed the dishes and cleaned. Jin and Hoseok relaxed at the table, talking about something to do with dance choreography as they waited for us.