31. Promise

Sunday

It was an icy grey morning but Jungkook and I weren't going to let that stop us from going out to the park for our scheduled run. We'd just finished doing our stretches and seemed to be warmed up and in good spirits. I asked if he was ready as we reached the pathway in which he gave a thumbs up. We set off at a steady pace, from my peripherals I could see the hood of Kookies jumper bouncing slightly along with his hair.

I felt the material of my legging tug a little at the skin of my waist with every step. Fresh cold air hit my face and hands, seeing as it was the only part of me that wasn't covered by my jumper or leggings. I breathed deeply in and out as we kept going, we were now passing the lake which had a thin layer of ice formed over the top. It glistened against the faint light of the sun cracking over the horizon. Suddenly Jungkook stopped, I also came to a halt and looked at him.

"Sorry, my phones ringing. Can we have a break? I need to take this" He explained as he pulled his phone out and glanced down at it.

"Yeah sure, no rush" I waved it off. He gave a small smile before picking up the call and walking a little out of earshot. I turned back towards the lake and gazed out at it. It was beautiful, there were small rocks and trees on the lake bank that made it look picture perfect. I took a few steps closer off the concrete and onto the grass which gave a light crunch from the ice under my feet. That's when a tiny sound caught my ear. It was so faint I thought I'd imagined it.

There, on a rock, just on the bank was a white kitten. It's meows for help were so fragile. As I inspected it further I noticed that a tree was blocking the kittens path off the rock from behind so it's only way off was over the thin layer of ice.

Holy shit, how long had this poor thing been stuck there?! As I got closer I could see it shivering. "Kitty, hey, it's okay" I bent down beside the edge of the ice and tried to reach out to it but, there's no way I'd be able to grab it unless I leaned over the ice a bit.

Shit.

This isn't good... But there's no way I can leave it there. Just looking at this tiny little guy freezing there alone on that rock.

Fuck it.

As I carefully put my palm on the ice I felt it burn cold. I took a deep breath and tried to put up with it, after it got a bit numb I put a bit more pressure. Slowly seemed fine. The ice wasn't cracking so I moved forward and knelt as carefully as I could on the ice. I slowly reached out, the kitten was still meowing desperately which only pushed me further to try and get him outta there. Finally, I felt his soft fluffy fur in my palm as I scooped him up. Now, all I had to do was gently throw him back on the bank then back up slowly the way I'd come. The kitty made a small plop sound as I threw him a short distance behind me to the grass.

Crack.

A sharp freeze engulfed my arm. The lattices of ice rippled. It gave way from underneath. I was falling forward. In an instant everything went dark. Shock from sudden cold hit me. I gasped but couldn't scream.

I can't move. My whole body was freeze burning.

Fuck I'm going to die.

Everything went numb. I couldn't feel a thing.

Fear crept in to every crevice of my being, drowning me in its depths.

I open my eyes. I faintly hear Kooks voice before I glimpse him leaning over me. Was it my mind playing tricks on me? Time was disfigured. My body is shaking violently, I crack my eyes open again, reality flickering in and out, I see cars and buildings whizzing past. I was being held. Kookie was panting.