29. Writing Our Own Story

Friday

I wake to a pounding in my head and I feel like absolute trash. I drag myself across the floor and to the kitchen to try and drink as much water as I can. I refill my glass about 3 times before I discard it by the sink.

How the hell did it get this bad...?

I prop myself up against the counter as I stare around my lounge room. Nothing in my mind whatsoever except that incessant thumping. I caught sight of a can sitting on my table. It was a hangover cure herbal drink, also funnily known as Ajushi juice due to the weird pic of the old man on the can.

I grabbed the can, filled my glass with water one more time and then took them both back to bed. After I popped a couple over the counter pain killers and finished off my herbal remedy I lay back down and tried to relax.

The next time I woke up I felt a bit better. The headache had subsided and I felt slightly more hydrated and less nauseous. As I reached for my phone I saw that it was already 1:12 pm. There was a text from my manager.

Jia, Last night was rough. I think it best you take tonight off and recover. Rest up and I'll see you tomorrow.

Yoona.

I felt a small relief wash over me as I finished reading the message but it didn't last long as my thoughts started to flicker over the night before. I stopped myself immediately and threw the blanket back to get out of bed. Don't think. If I had the day off I could use it to study for exams so after I cooked up some eggs I got stuck into some revision.

After about an hour my concentration started to fail me. My mind just wandered on its own, flashes of Cece helping me out and dragging me home. Of Daesung, the way he sleazed onto me. Just thinking about it made me uncomfortable. Not to mention Jin... I felt robbed of my time with him. I'd have rather spent the rest of my night with him cuddled up at home or grabbing a late-night snack. Food always tasted better with Jin.

I snapped my textbook shut and let out a deep breath. I felt horrible. I wanted to cry. I was halfway through praying to a higher power that this resentment secondary to hangover would blow over soon when my phone dinged.

Tae: Bestie, what're you doing? 👀

It was Tae... I didn't want to burden him with my self pitying mood right now but I didn't want to ignore him either so I just text him back.

Jia: Just at home, trying to study but not getting very far 😔

Tae: You need a study buddy? 🧸❤️
Jia: I'm feeling kinda down today and don't wanna put it on you... Another time?

I bit my lip anxiously, I felt so conflicted.

Tae: I'll be there soon. Wait for me okay?

I went to text back and tell him not to but I stopped. I got the feeling he probably wouldn't take no for an answer.. or if he did, it might hurt his feelings... I closed my phone and just sat in silence as I waited. I rarely shared my feelings with others. It was a hard thing for me to do and I tried to avoid it when I could.

My mind kept ticking away as my overthinking took over. There was a hard knock on the door. I went over to open it. Tae stood there as he looked me over, he had a big gym bag slung over his shoulder.

"Hey" I mustered a small smile. Tae took a few steps closer so I backed up and he closed the door behind him.

"If you're feeling down better not to be by yourself... right?" Tae dropped his bag on the floor and reached out, I let myself be gently pulled into his chest as he hugged me. His sincerity was tugging at my heartstrings making it harder for me to hold down my welling emotions but I bit the tears back and pulled away slowly.