48. Mutually Beneficial

Tuesday

Joon texted me this morning asking if I could meet up with him over lunch so as soon as class finished I headed over to the location of the place he'd sent me.

It was a small cafe that was tucked away between the corner of a street and a hip alleyway. The front of the shop had wide-open windows with a few tables in the laneway. There was colourful graffiti on the brick walls and it looked like a nice little tucked away treasure cafe of urban art. Joon was seated at one of the makeshift seating areas that consisted of milk crates with cushions on them and a second hand looking table.

He waved me over when he saw me, dimple smile on full display.

"This is a nice place, how's you ever find it?" I approached and took a seat on a crate beside him, still looking around in awe. The buildings on either side towered over blocking out any direct sun and leaving us in a nice cool shaded space.

"The owner comes to our club occasionally, he knows I'm into art so invited me to come to check out his cafe" Joon answered, glancing over at the barista inside.

"I'm going to assume the coffee here is amazing then" I followed his gaze, noting that indeed there was a specialty coffee menu on display.

"I've only been here once before but I've been told the cold drip is good" Joon offered thoughtfully.

"We should try it then, what do you think?" I smiled. Joon didn't waste any time going over to the barista and placing our order. He took his phone out of his back pocket before sitting down and placing it on the table. He was manspreading due to how long his legs were and how low the crate was. I tried not to stare too much but his posture was radiating swaggering dom vibes.

"So, I heard you accepted the offer?" Joon asked, hands now clasped together in front of him, head tilted in my direction.

"Well, yeah. I did. I'll help write songs for you guys, and, I was asked to do some work at one of Reira's clubs" I replied. He gave a small nod, as though he may have already known.

"I'm glad you're officially part of the team Jia. Now that you are, I can give you the details of our next album concept. I'll need to fill you in so you can start writing tracks for it" Joon reached over for the folder he had on the table and passed it over to me. From the moment I'd sat down with him this morning I had gotten a slightly more professional vibe from him and now I knew why.

"Okay, sounds good. All the information is in here?" I asked as I opened it up to take a look.

The barista interrupted only for a second as he put our drinks on the table and left again. "Yeah, everything I've got so far is in there but I'll give you a run down anyway" Joon picked up the cup and took a sip, scrunching his face only for a brief moment.

"Is it bitter?" I asked, picking mine up and taking a sip too. It was bitter at first taste but, afterwards, it settled bold and fruitily on the tongue.

"This is amazing" Joon took another sip before putting it back on the table. "Yeah, no kidding" I gave a content sigh.

"Where was I, oh right. So, I'll send you the entire first album that we're about to release. The next one will follow a similar rebellious school concept." Joon began to delve into details about the albums.

"The loose idea so far is about finding your life happiness before it's too late. Having to study like crazy, compete against your friends, forced to live up to someone else's dream. A lot of youth today don't get the chance to even follow their dreams because of it all, a lot struggle and feel hopeless." Joon took a small moment to sip at his coffee.