26| It's been too long

Start from the beginning

At that precise moment, my eyes land on someone resembling Chaunard but he quickly vanishes from my line of sight. The passing view convinces me that I'm either drunk or losing my mind because evidently, I'm seeing things. Still, I look in the direction, trying to find the person again.

I'm forced to give up when Gillian drags me by the arm, asking me to accompany her to the restroom. She doesn't give me a chance to reply.

"Kelsie, mi nuh know if yuh notice but there was this guy looking yuh. Mi see him more than one time," she says as soon as we get to a spot that is quiet enough for me to hear her.

"Not really," I tell her as we enter the enclave of several portable potties.

"Is because yuh a enjoy yuhself man," she smiles before ducking into an available potty. "Yuh look happy though. I assume everything is alright?"

"Yeah man. I am just living and loving life."

"You deserve to be happy... Enjoy yuh single life. Marriage and relationship is a whole different ball game. One minute you're up, the next you're down and then yuh start wondering what the hell you got into. It's a roller coaster ride."

She's venting in her intoxicated state so I allow her to talk while I remove phone from my purse to send Chaunard a quick message. I want to be with him.

"Is who yuh texting?" Gillian peers over my shoulder and eyes me suspiciously when she gets out of the potty.

"Nooobody," I lie, which is obvious and she replies with a disarming "mhmmm".

"Okay... I'll tell you when I'm ready," I promise her, checking the mirror and fixing my hair, which she styled with a curling wand. Otherwise, I'd be wearing a wash-and-go hairstyle or my usual bun tonight.

On the outside, Marsha and Ethan are posing for photos. "See who happy deh," I point out to Gillian as we approach the couple. We both chuckle at the sight.

"She really deserve it Kelz. Mi never know we would live to hear her ever talk about marriage."

"Life works in mysterious ways. Mi soon come," I tell her before veering off towards the bar nearest to us. As I wait for the server to return with my water, Chaunard's face comes into my peripheral view.

He's actually here!

Looking as fine as ever leaning against the bar, staring at me. My heartbeat speeds up a few notches, crashing against my chest and my breathing becomes irregular. My eyes find his, but neither of us moves.

The bartender provides a brief distraction when he returns with the water and I get an opportunity to compose myself before approaching Chaunard, who seems a bit... troubled?

I'm not certain which vibe I'm getting from him right now but it's definitely not 'happy to see you'. He is looking at me in the way that a mother would eye her errant child whose hand has again been caught in the cookie jar.

It makes me feel guilty and turns the few short steps between us into what I'd compare to a long trek along the highway on a hot sunny day. But I get to him nonetheless, standing there and holding his intense stare yet he doesn't utter a word. He doesn't even kiss back when my lips find his.

The only movement at first is one of his hands finding the small of my back and holding me closer to him when I try to pull away. He moves his other hand to the back of my neck and then brushes his lips along the side of my face until he gets to my ear.

"Why were you grinding on another man?" His voice is deep and low, making my insides quiver. Are his feelings hurt?

"It was just one dance."

"This is what one dance can do," he says, pressing against me so that I can feel his bulging erection. Butterflies go rabid in my stomach and I bite my lip and moan softly in anticipation of what's to come.

"Yuh cyaa blame mi fi dat. I wasn't the one dancing with you."

"Unlike you, mi neva did a dance wid nuh body. This is all for you."

"Mi sure a nuh jus one dance do dat."

He ignores my statement and loosens his hold. "Yuh drive?" he asks, taking a sip from the cup in his hand.

"No. Mi travel wid Gillian and her husband."

"Good. Go tell yuh fren dem seh yuh leaving."

I practically skip off to do as told. Before I even open my mouth Marsha blurts out, "Mi see yuh!"

Her outburst reduces my insides to hot mush as a bout of shyness settles over me. Gillian confirms that Chaunard was the man she saw earlier while Marsha's parting "advice" is a tongue-in-cheek and hand movement that imitates a blowjob.

I'm a flustered mess with a wide grin plastered on my face when I return to Chaunard. I'm drunk. Not so much off the alcohol as I am intoxicated with him.