19| Never a right time

Chaunard towers behind me, both hands tucked into his pants pockets as his eyes find Steven. He doesn't touch me but he's standing so near to me that I can feel the warmth radiating off his body.

"Who dat?" he asks softly.

"My ex, Steven. He's the one I walked in on." I keep my voice low so only he can hear.

"Okay. Weh him a do here?"

"No idea but mi feel like Michael have sumn fi do wid it," I tell him as Steven inches closer.

"A because a him yuh know Michael?!" Chaunard whispers, his voice revealing shock.

"Yea, di two a dem work a di same place." I don't look at him but based on his chuckle, I can picture the gears turning in his mind as he puts the pieces together.

"Nuh tell mi seh..."

"Yup!" I cut him off before he can complete the statement. "It's exactly what you're thinking."

Steven rubs his hand over his head nervously when he gets within close proximity. His walking slows to a stop about four feet away from where we stand beside the car.

"Kelsie, can we talk, please? Alone?" he stresses the last word. I glance at Chaunard, who raises his brows and gives me a look that says 'that decision is up to you'.

"I'll only be a few minutes."

"Alright," he mutters. He moves to sit in the car when I walk away but he doesn't close the door. It pains my heart to be dealing with this right now. Shame and pity are the only things I feel for Steven. There is not one ounce of sympathy.

"Yuh find man?" he asks, as I follow him to the shadows of a nearby tree.

"How dat concern you? Wah yuh want?" I don't even bother trying to hide my irritation.

"Jus a chance fi explain things," he says, turning to face me.

"There literally is nothing to explain though."

"Jus hear mi out nuh Kelsie?" he pleads.

"Talk fast," I snap, crossing my arms over my chest.

He rubs his head again, this time telling me, "Sorry yuh did affi see mi a do dat."

Not sorry for hurting me or lying to me or even cheating. His voice is bare of remorse. He's only sorry that he got caught.

"Mi nuh have time fi dis," I turn on my heels and step off but he grabs hold of my shoulder, stopping me. That's when Chaunard exits the car but I gesture for him to stop before he can move off.

Steven had already removed his hand from my person and if he hadn't, I know how to handle myself.

"Nuh touch mi! I don't need your sorry and I don't need your explanation," I half yell at him, giving him a sneering, icy stare.

He takes two steps backward with his hand held up in surrender. "It was a moment of weakness, Kelsie. Mi jus yield to temptation. Forgive me, please. I need you," he begs, his voice falling to a whisper.

"Why are you here at this precise location and at this precise moment?"

He rubs his head again and averts his eyes to the ground. His weight shifts from one leg to the other, a clear sign of nervousness. He opens his mouth to speak but his anxious movements are a sufficient response to my question.

"Nuh bother answer dat. See yuh man a come deh." I tip my head back and use my chin to point behind him.

As soon as he turns to confirm, I hurry back to the car with Chaunard. In my haste to get in, my purse falls from my hand, spilling the contents on the floor. He waits until I gather the pieces before driving away.