26| It's been too long

Two months later

Marsha's show of strength at Professor Shitup's funeral gained media attention and was far-reaching. Among the mourners was an off-duty newspaper reporter, who felt compelled to write the front-page story that was published two days later.

The article, headlined '#MeToo at slain teacher's burial' didn't name Marsha, but it detailed her actions and quoted her as well as the other women who spoke up. Since then, she launched a support group for victims of sexual assault, and that has been going better than any of us expected.

Tonight, we are celebrating that success as well as her 31st birthday with dinner at one of her favorite restaurants. There are 12 of us in attendance, including Ethan (her fiancé), Gillian, Ricardo, and a few of Marsha's other friends and relatives.

I'm here in body but my mind is elsewhere. Specifically, I'm badly missing Chaunard. He returned to the island as planned this morning but we have barely spoken because I've been busy all day.

With Gillian being such a homebody, she had nothing to wear and I also needed shoes and accessories so we spent the entire day shopping and getting ready for this celebration. There's no telling how the night will end due to the birthday girl's unpredictability, so unfortunately I won't be seeing him until tomorrow at the earliest.

"Kelz! Yuh nuh hear me a talk to yuh?!" Marsha yells at me from across the table. "A weh yuh mind deh?"

"Mi jus a try remember if mi plug out di iron before mi lef di house," is the quickest lie I can come up with.

There's no way I can let her know that my mind is preoccupied with thoughts of Chaunard and wondering if things will be awkward when we next meet. She doesn't even know we're involved and tonight isn't the right time to spill the beans about him.

She continues entertaining her guests, who break out into cheers when the waiter walks up with her black and white cake, topped with the number 31 and sparklers. And in true Marsha fashion, it comes as no surprise when she insists that we go to a party after dinner.

We arrive around 11:00 pm at the venue, which from an aerial view must be the exact replica of animals converging on a watering hole in the jungle. Just switch out the animals for people and the water for alcohol and music.

Groups of skimpily clad women stream into the open space in droves, swinging their hips and enticing the men huddled together in different packs. A number of couples are scattered among the throng of people, all here for the exact same thing – a good time.

Marsha leads her clique to a spot in the VIP section that is sparsely populated, where the air doesn't reek of sweat and lust, and most importantly, where we can have some semblance of privacy. Everyone in our circle loosens up after a few rounds of alcohol and by the time a selection of the latest dancehall music starts playing, we're all ready and raring to go.

It's common practice for Marsha and me to 'tek di miggle an wine' but surprisingly, Gillian joins in, much to the delight of Ricardo. We dance together until the couples segment comes on and Marsha and Gillian reach for their respective partners, leaving me alone.

The entire group gets a good laugh watching Ethan wiggle his body while Marsha gives him her best wine. He's undeterred by our reaction though and continues enjoying himself with a gleeful look on his face.

On my other side, Gillian and Ricardo engage in a dry humping session. They are about a minute away from giving in to their urges and having sex right here in the purview of everyone present.

Although I'm without someone to dance with, that doesn't stop my shine. I keep up my solo act until Derron, one of Marsha's cousins, works his way over to me and I let him have this one dance. Thankfully he doesn't get handsy, which limits our movement to plain enjoyment of the music and atmosphere.