Chapter 31 I Am No Hero... I Am A Mercenary

I did everything and anything to push the pain away. I would take any job I could and I barely saw my family. It would be a day, week, month, or even years till I could see her away. I know a lot of things but not the future. I was scared. I barely slept at night because of the empty side lying next to me. I would jump rope, do push ups, anything to keep me away. I had to remember one of the last things she said... "Remember your promise." It kept replaying on repeat but I couldn't stop thinking about her. I waited for a few weeks and I started to give up. Years then went by and nothing happened. Cayden and Avery were out of college and in which Cayden came to me asking for my blessing. I nodded my head in which they got married. I moved out of Eddie's house and found that house I promised Gracie and I would live in.

I kept up with the Maggia and Spidey and Nova helped me out with that problem. Every night I would remember the steps to the dances that Gracie taught me and would pull out my mixtape and start playing songs and practicing on that very rooftop that we would hang out on. More years went by and I completely gave up.

"Promise me you'll be happy... You have to promise you'll move on." Her voice echoed in my head.

"Who would love someone like me?" I sighed as my feet dangled off the ledge of a building.

"I do." Again her voice bounced off the walls of my head.

"Get out of my head!" I scream through my tennis ball off the building.

"Hey Pool." a young voice came from behind.

"Spidey. Hey." I said as he sat next to me. "Well, you're a hero to the city. You stopped the Maggia Families from damaging the city even further."

"I'm no hero." I turn to look upon his face. "I'm a mercenary."