Chapter 18 I Can't Believe Him

Avery -

I slowly walked over to Gracie, "Now you know how I feel. You might want to start getting used to this part." I went over to the closet and pulled out some comfy clothes to relax it. "You might want to change. I don't know how long it's going to be till they come back."

I went into the bathroom and changed super fast, hoping Gracie wouldn't leave me to fight alongside my dad. To be honest, I love Gracie and if she left me without telling me, I would be scared. I don't really like being left alone after I found out my dad left me when I was a kid for a couple of years. I came out of the bathroom to see Gracie already changed and cleaning... "Thank goodness you're still here." I sighed in relief.

"Unbelievable! I can't believe he doesnt think I can handle myself." Gracie said mutterding to herself. I know what she was going though. My dad trained me for years but never let me fight a real villain besides himself. I sat down on the bed.

"I think he does trust you but is worried. I read my dad's journal. I like to sneak around and find out what he's hiding. I learned that my mom had super powers too."

"Oh what's your mom's powers?"

"It wasn't anything big but it was shapeshifting."

"That's really cool!"

"She never used it but she used to fight alongside him. It was a couple days away from their wedding, she was shot and killed. That's probably why he doesn't want to lose you. He knows that you are capable of fighting and holding your own but doesn't want you to go the way my mom did. Heroes can't save everyone which is why my dad hates choices if something ever happened to the both of us." I tried my best to smile.

"Ugh sometimes your dad is so lovable and hateable at the same time!"

"Well you love him enough to have... Sorry, I stepped too far. Yeah, it's a love-hate relationship with him."

"Ugh sometimes I hate it when other people are right!"

"It just makes you the more wiser." I beamed. After what felt like hours of waiting, Cayden and my dad walked in. The hall was dark but I could tell by their silhouettes something was wrong. Once it was more clear, Gracie was not going to be happy. Cayden was carrying my dad but my dad has a missing leg and arm. Blood dripped every time he hopped.

"WADE!!! OH MY GOSH."

"It's just a scratch." he waved it off, "It will grow back... In a couple of hours."

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!!!"

"That's not how it works. I have a healing factor which is almost like a curse to me. I can't die so these scratches will heal."

"See what I mean." I muttered to Gracie, "He calls them scratches when it's like a bullet wound." Remembering our conversation on girls night.

"I'm going for a walk. I'll be back in a little while." Gracie said, trying to walk out of the apartment.

"That's not a good idea." Cayden whispered. "We may or may not have caused a bit of trouble. I broke some of the police codes to break out Mr. Wilson."

I looked up, "What do you mean?"

"I think the police are tracking us right now. When we were fighting the guys who killed the Chief, it turns out that, well..." he rubbed his neck. "So you know how the Chief is like a father to me. When I found the guys, I went on a revenge streak."

"You killed him didn't you?" Gracie said.

"Yeah, I tried to stop him but he cut my arm and leg trying to get to the criminals. Let's just say, he knows how to use my katanas. Witnesses saw what happened and we're in trouble now. We did get caught by the police but Cayden broke us both out."