61. Valentina / Fredrico

Start from the beginning

"How was Rory's birthday dinner?" I ask. Two days ago was Rory's birthday. I'm just now talking about it because this is the first time i've seen Rico.

He had an important business deal, so it was just me and Leo.

"Uneventful and over the top as always," he answered.

I let out a small yawn. "I'm going to take a shower."

TIME SKIP

"Hello my favorite nephew," Aaya gushed with a gasp as she picked up Leo. She hugs him while swaying.

Jamila gives me a hug. "Hi honey! How are you?"

"I'm good, how are you?" I ask and park the stroller.

"I'm doing okay. We missed you and Leo at breakfast this morning, where were you?"

"Blair's," I lie. "We were talking about a guy she met," I lie again.

"Oh," she says with a smile.

"Hey V!"

I spin around with a grin, "Hey Troy! You look good!" He gives me a bear hug.

"Thanks sis!" He turns and takes Leo from Aaya. Aaya glares at him. "And there's my favorite nephew in the whole entire world," he cooed and blew raspberries onto his stomach.

Leo makes a cute noise and Troy hands him back to Aaya.

"How's mommy duties?" He asks and uses my shoulder as a crutch.

"Good. Leo is great," I smile with a nod. "How're you doing? How's physical therapy?"

"It's good. My jaw doesn't hurt as bad and i'm not addicted to pain meds," he throws up his arms with a smile. "Isn't that a win win?"

I nod, "I'm glad you're okay," I tell him and kiss his cheek.

He hums, "So am I. I'm also kinda glad I got taken. If I didn't, where would sweet baby Leo be right now? Definitely not safe, I can tell you that."

He quickly changes the topic, "So when's your bio fam coming?" He asks.

"Three weeks," I answer.

He put his hands on his hips, "Isn't your dad black?"

"Yes... but he grew up in the D.R," I tell him.

"God it's gonna be so awkward at that dinner," He whispers.

Troy claps me on the shoulder, "Look on the bright side! At least you can say the n-word!"

I raise a brow, "That's your only bright side?" His smile dims a little. "Besides, you and dad barely ever use that word and I don't feel comfortable saying it."

"I heard you have a sister," He says and wiggles his eyebrows.

"No," I tell him. "You're not dating her. Don't you have a girlfriend?"

"She broke up with me because I "ghosted" her for five weeks. Can you believe that?!"

He puts his hands on his hips and sighs, "I couldn't even talk and she just decides to break up with me. And it's not like I could go over there and make everything better with my tongue because-"

"I'm signing out of the conversation," I grimace and pat his back.

"Hey!" He protests. "Who am I gonna tell my problems to now?"

"Your therapist," I answer. "That's why I got you one in the first place."

He thinks about it for a moment, "Yeah, I should call him," he mumbles and gets out his phone.