41. Valentina

I get a call from Jamila

I get a call from Jamila. I pick up the phone, "Hey sweetheart. I was just calling to tell you Leo took us home, so you don't have to come and get us."

"Okay. Can you tell everyone to pack a few bags? You'll be escorted to the new house by seven. So that gives you-" I look at my watch. "-three and a half hours."

"Okay. Are you alright sweetheart? You sound angry."

"Yes i'm fine. It's just work. I'll call you later to check on you all."

"What time are you coming home?"

"Uh... I don't know. I'll be late coming home, most likely after dinner. Can you put Ivy to bed for me?" I ask.

"Ivy has been giving me a hard time lately. She asks for you more Val and you've been staying out more and more-"

"I know Jamila. I just have a lot of-"

"Work, yes I know. I just don't want you to miss out on important things because you're working all the time. Her first steps are coming up. She has a lot of things going on that you miss. I just..." She sighs.

"I don't want you to choose your career over her and neglect her like Alfonso did your brothers when they were babies."

"Im nothing like that man Jamila. I wish I could be there for her. I wish. But that's not possible. I can't be with her all the time. It sucks, but I have two companies to take care of, meetings-"

"I know, I know Val. Just start small please? It's not only Ivy that misses you. Troy misses you as well and Aaya feels like she barely even knows you because you two never hang out. I know she won't say it, but she's jealous of your relationship with Troy. She feels left out."

I sigh and shut my computer. "I can get off of work early tomorrow, but that means I have to be in the office all day today and you won't see me till I get off of work the next day. If I can get this work done, you four will have my undivided attention tomorrow. How does that sound?"

"Okay, i'll tell them. But please do not disappoint them."

"I won't. I'll be there. I promise," I tell her and hang up the phone.

I sit back down and rub my eyes. I move my computer out the way and get started on the pile of paperwork that's on my desk.

TIME SKIP

There was a knock at my door. My assistant Ari sticks her head in. "Sorry to bother Ms. Val, but could I come in?"

I nod my head and set my pen down. I get up, "Is something wrong?" I ask and gesture to a seat.

She sits down and nods her head. "There has been some... threats coming in."

I already know what's she's talking about.