prologue

I sat at the front of the church with my brother Troy and my new born sister Ivy

I sat at the front of the church with my brother Troy and my new born sister Ivy. I consoled my brother as he cried into the crook of my neck.

The church was packed with people. People I never even met or seen in my entire life. So many gave us pity glances and their condolences.

Their condolences didn't mean shit. At least not to me. They come up to me and say the same thing.

"I can't believe they're gone."

"Your parents were such lovely people."

"I'm so sorry for your loss."

I just wanted to curl into a ball and cry until I couldn't cry anymore. But I can't. Not when my little brother and sister needs me. Not when I have a company and a mafia to prove myself to.

I got up for my speech and handed Ivy to one of my best friends, Naveen.

I give the pastor a hug and stand behind the lectern and raise the microphone a little higher. My other best friend, Blair comes up and stands beside me.

"You got this V," she mumbled and patted my back.

I let out a breath and take off my sunglasses. "Good afternoon everyone," I start off. Mumbles go throughout the crowd.

I clear my throat and look down at the speech I wrote. My father's last words fresh in my mind.

Don't cry Valentina. You will be an amazing donna. Show them how strong you are.

I straightened my spine and shoot a quick glance at my siblings before I start my speech.

•TIME SKIP•

I stare blankly at their caskets as the pastor says a prayer. My mind was going a hundred miles per second.

How could we just be laughing, then i'm covered in blood as I try to get the bleeding to stop? At least they were able to save my sister.

Someone patted my back. I look over my shoulder and see my Dad's "friend."

He wasn't no friend. At least not in my eyes. He was a jealous bastard who always needed help pulling his business out of the damn gutter.

"I'm very sorry for your loss honey."

"Valentina," I corrected him.

"What?" he questioned with a furrowed brow.

I turn halfway so I was facing him, "my name is Valentina. Don't call me honey."

My Dad's nickname for me was honey bun. It was an inside joke that turned into a nickname. Call me dramatic, but I don't care. That word is a sore spot for me.

"Right, i'm very sorry Valentina. If you need anything, give me a call. Especially if you need help with any business related issues."

"I have a business. I know how to run one. Just because it's fashion doesn't mean i'm incapable of running my father's company. I wouldn't take advice from you anyway."

If he thought we would be friends he's mistaken. I already had so much going on, I didn't need to add a leech to the mix.

"Listen i'm just trying to help—"

"Why are you here Lois?" I ask.

Annoyance flashed in his eyes, "to say goodbye to my best friend and your mother."

"Come on Lois, tell me the real reason," I urge. "What do you need? Money? Help with your business?" I ask.

"I know you were only a friend to my father because he paid off your debts when you were in trouble. I won't do that Lois. My dad was a very giving person, but i'm not. I'm not giving you shit. I don't even like you."

His face flushed with anger, "how dare you—"

"Leave me alone Lois. This is the only day I get to mourn the loss of my mother and father. I don't have time for your bullshit. Leave or i'll get someone to escort you out."

His mouth snapped closed and his hands balled into fists. He turned around and bumped my shoulder with his before leaving.

I roll my eyes, "so emotional," I grumble loud enough for him to hear me. His footsteps ceased before they continued.

I step closer to the graves and the pastor grabs my hands. "My condolences go out to you Valentina. Your parents were truly amazing people. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call. My door is always open. Come to the church anytime."

I give him a small but genuine smile, "thank you." He smiled and squeezed my hands before walking away.

"Excuse me." The men stop lowering their caskets. "Could you give me at least five minutes alone please?" I ask.

"Of course ma'am. It's drizzling though, wouldn't you—"

"I'm fine. A little bit of rain won't hurt me," I tell him. They all nod and move back out of ear shot.

I dropped down to my knees and hugged my father's casket. A sob broke free from my throat, "I miss you and Mom so much," I sob and reach over and touch my mother's casket.

"I don't know what to do with a baby. You two should be raising her. Not me."

A hand touched my back, "Val we have to go. You're getting soaked out here in the rain." Sabrina mumbled.

"My five minutes aren't up. Just let me have my two minutes left please," I tell her. She nods and walks away. I kiss my father's casket before getting up.

I wipe my tears with my sleeve and go over to my mother's casket. "I'll take care of Ivy and Troy as best as I can. I love you mama," I mumble and kiss her casket.

I stand up and wipe my tears. "I will find Gunther and make him pay. I promise," I whisper.

First my biological family, now my parents. When I find Gunther he will suffer from all the pain he's caused me.