Chapter Sixty-Eight: The God of Darkness

Start from the beginning

            He pulled away from me, and as my fingers left his skin, I could feel the swirls that covered his body with enchanting whimsy.  "What a funny woman you are." Milo said, amused, just before he left the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Samara!" My host called for me. "Are you ready to g—" he stopped in the doorway—jaw dropped in awe. "You look absolutely divine! A vision, really!"

            I blushed, touching the skirt of my dress delicately. "Thank you. You look wonderful as well." I mentioned as I examined his very Romeo-like attire. A white peasant blouse with black leather pants and ankle boots. His magenta skin made his whole outfit pop, and that white mask really brought his look together. His wings were out but slanted downward so that they were close to his body.

            "Why, thank you." He bowed dramatically. "Aryan fought me tooth and nail, but I got that dragon in his outfit. I think you'll be impressed. Speaking of outfits," he started, holding out a small dark brown chest. "I have one more thing for your ensemble."

            "Oh, no," I began, shaking my head. I couldn't possibly accept more."

            "But you must," he shrugged and opened the chest, revealing a gorgeous, but seemingly antique masquerade mask. The left side was white while the right side was black. Both sides had silver filigree swirled about. I traced the curved edges of the mask just before Milo took it out of the box. "Turn around." He twirled his finger, and I did as he asked.

            He carefully placed the mask over my eyes and began tying the ribbons together. "Milo," I started as he continued to secure the mask. "Are you going to take us to Zenaida?"

            He didn't say anything for a moment. "We'll discuss it when the Gala is over."

            Not wanting to push the subject, I nodded, ready to go. "Then, let's head to the Gala."

            Quickly, I followed Milo to the main platform where a dashing Aryan was waiting impatiently for us. Similar to Milo in style except he was wearing all black and his black mask from yesterday.

            "Aryan," I chuckled. "You sort of look like a pirate."

            "Seriously?" he rolled his eyes.

            I bumped against him playfully. "But in a wonderful kind of way."

            His amber orbs eyed me from head-to-toe. "So do you, Lady Samara."

            I smirked at him and held onto his arm. "Well, Sir Aryan, shall we head to the Gala?"

            "Ok, you two, stop being cute, and let's go!" Milo urged us towards the edge of the platform, but he pushed a little too hard because next thing I knew, Aryan and I were over the edge and falling towards the ground!

            I could faintly hear Milo screaming for us, but my attention was quickly pulled away as Aryan wrapped me in his arms and pulled me closer to his chest. I could feel his body stiffen as he braced for the fall.

            Somehow, I managed to push my hand out towards the ground. Instinctually, I summoned the wind to our aid. The air I pushed towards the ground slowed our descent in spurts like a geyser. After another minute, we managed to make it to the ground below with a bruise as the worst of our injuries. I breathed a sigh of relief, lying on Aryan's chest for a moment longer before rising. We both looked at each, in awe that we didn't die from such a height.