14

Elena walked into the house with a sleeping Scarlett. She walked to her daughter's room going in and laying her in her crib being careful not to wake her up. She grabbed the baby monitor taking it with her. Despite the news that her friends were now coming her focus was still her daughter overall.

She slowly closed the door behind her she did not want Scarlett to wake up and have to put her back to sleep.

"Surprised you came back."

She turned to him she had no reason to run. She didn't care there was no way she was leaving Scarlett and she wasn't that much of a bitch to take her away from her father. " And why would i run?"

"Stefan texted said they knew where you were." He knew what that meant for her the people that she had been avoiding had finally tracked them down.

"Yeah, they know that i am in New Orleans nothing else. "No matter what she was still pissed at him but she wasn't going to do anything irrational because they knew where she was. She was not about to pack up and leave. And she did not have to explain anything to the person that was still lying to her. " Can we not play this game right now? This doesn't stop the fact that i am still mad at you."

"What am I supposed to do?" He didn't understand what she wanted him to do he had tried but she did not want to hear anything he was trying to say. He couldn't blame her but it was not making this easy.

She was tired of hearing the same thing over and over again. She wanted the truth she wanted to know why he really had locked her in the house. Because she was not an idiot, she knew that their was more to the story. "Anything but the same old excuse, I can handle myself how many times do i have to tell y'all this be honest why can't you just tell me why. Because it was not because we could die. There was something else."

"Elena-"

"You don't want to tell me I don't care don't tell me just leave me alone." She turned to walk away if he was not about to tell her then she was not about to talk to him. She had grown close to him in the time before everything went down. Things had changed and now everything was goinng down the drain. She had always had that bad when it came to choosing guys and dating or even liking them. She always had liked the bad ones the ones that she knew were no good for her. And she had hoped that this time could be different.

"She was willing to trade y'all for the girls Elena." Elena stopped in her tracks at his words. He hadn't wanted to tell her because he knew from the past times something like this happened that she would have willingly gone for the trade. Especially if it had meant that Scarlett was safe. "She sent a note three days before the attack. We couldn't let y'all go i  may not know you well but i know you enough to know that you would have accepted the trade. You and Hayley both if you thought it was the only way. Y'all would have accepted it."

"It wasn't your choice to make." She knew that he was right she would have accepted it if she knew that her baby was safe. She would have risked it all.

"It is when you have a daughter that needs to grow up with a mother and already lost one you seen how it affected you." He didn't need to be a genius to know how bad it had been for Elena when she lost her parents her family. He knew that she wouldn't want Scarlett going through the same thing. "Did you want to do the same to her. How were you when you found out the people you knew were not your birth parents. No matter the reason she was going to have to know. I've seen how you react when people try to save you when people do something stupid to protect you."

She turned to him it was true she did hate when people tried to save her she had reacted badly when her parents died. When she found out that she was adopted it all had affected her. She really didn't want to do that to her daughter. But there could have been another solution where they wouldn't have gotten hurt. "I didn't need saving i could have handled myself."

"You don't understand Elena if you and Hayley would have come she would have been able to use that to her advantage." He did not want to admit it. He had never feared anything but the chance that the girl he had fell in love with without even noticing it didn't feel the same way scared him. 

"Then help me understand." She just wanted him to tell her what it was. Why couldn't he just tell her why.

"We weren't just protecting you two. We were protecting ourselves." He knew that if she had coming, he was risking everything. He was risking losing the first person he had loved in centuries. He knew that he was going to be distracted trying to keep her safe. "The Mikaelson siblings are selfish you have always known that. It will never change. Katherine or Stefan weren't there either it was simply only the siblings. They stayed out cause they knew that if they tried to go no one was going to let them. "

"They didn't go they weren't there?" She had thought that it was only her and Hayley that had not been there. It hadn't dawn on her that maybe the other two weren't there either.

He knew that the two had figured that they wouldn't be allowed their due to the situation and the threat. "Nope they knew Rebekah and Elijah weren't going to let them anyway."

"What are you trying to say?" He didn't say anything he just stayed quiet. She turned around not feeling like waiting for an answer. She just wanted to go back to her room. She just wanted to continue to ignore him.

"I'm in love with you Elena." She stopped at the confession. Before she even got to process it he continued. He knew that she was not about to listen until he told the truth so he had no choice but to tell her how he felt. And just pray that she felt the same that it didn't mess everything up. "I knew that if i would have let you come that i was risking everything. And there was no chance i was risking my daughter and the girl that managed to capture my heart for the first time in centuries."

She turned to look at him she had been scared that she had fell in love with someone that didn't feel the same way.  "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know how. I was afraid that you didn't feel the same way." He had never been rejected he had never found anyone that he liked that much to be afraid of getting a rejection. 

She went over to him leaning up to kiss him. "I always make the wrong decisions with relationships and i really didn't want to do that again" She can't stand the idea of getting hurt again. 

"I know how you feel about people making their decisions off of their feelings for you. I know that your dad gave his life for you both of them." He knew that she didn't like when guys did things based on how they felt about her. He knew that she had lost a lot."I know that your mom killed herself in front of you i know that Jenna died and you couldn't save her. No one could save her at the time."

 "At the time?" She was a little confused by the statement.

"I have a surprise for you. "He whistled, and Jenna walked out.  He knew that Elena missed her aunt and besides Alaric she didn't have any family. 

"Elena."

She looked at her aunt. "But-"

Jenna flashed to her she knew that her niece was confused by what was going on. "In order to find peace all your worries need to be gone and that is not the case when you leave two teenagers by themselves."

"I will leave you two." He knew that they needed this time for them before the storm came.

"Thank you." She was happy that he brought her aunt back she was happy to hear that she was not the only one that had developed feelings.