50

The calm of the sea didn't match what I was seeing in front of me. The sounds of the crows mixed with the falling purple flowers of the sakura tree blowing with the wind and would have made anyone believe that this was a beautiful day.

But the scent of blood and released bowels tainted the air I breathed, the dead bodies scattered across the village was a scene of horror.

It was quieter than it should have been that morning, I've faced many demons and never had I experienced such a quiet defeat.

My eyes scanned the scene before me as I sat on the roof of what was probably once a lively home. The dirt was coated with blood and shredded ripped limbs. The smell of it all made me want to throw up at the rotten smell. My eyes moved to another individual with a slayer uniform. The body had no limbs left. They are clearly bitten off, I thought, by one of the demons, if only I was here earlier.

I sighed as I closed my eyes. "Rest, my friend," I whispered.

No aspect of our mental life is more important to the quality and meaning of our existence than the emotions. They are what make life worth living and sometimes worth ending.

It was sweltering hot and humid. I could feel the heaviness of the moisture in the air weighing down on me and seeping through my clothes. A bead of sweat trickled down my neck and ran down my spine.

I bit the insides of my lips, annoyance turned to anger. My eyes glanced quickly at the cloth remnants of what the demons wore before they were slain turned into ashes. Could this have been avoided if I had left yesterday or even earlier today?

One part of regrets it because of what happened yesterday.

I thought as I gritted my teeth while replaying those thoughts in my head of him acting the way he did with the waitress and offering to help her after her shift so casually just as he was suggested to do by Mitsuri so he claimed. Maybe I should stop it before it goes any further. We are demon slayers -Hashiras ...our top priority is to protect humans from demons not have a relationship with one another...

Yet.

Another part of me was quite content that I was able to learn more about Kyojuro when he confessed to me. I was able to learn why I like how enthusiastic and open he was, how his voice was loud and beaming and how his eyes were filled with warmth just like his body and his title. But at what cost did it come.

I rose from my spot and jumped down the roof and sighed.

Lightning spiked through the darkened sky, and was followed by a clap of thunder. The clouds looked menacing in their glory, threatening to empty themselves at the slightest invitation.

As I inhaled deeply, I heard another loud crash of thunder, and felt a big, fat raindrop hit my cheek, and flow down my face to my neck. It was followed by one more raindrop, and then yet another. A gasp passed through my lips, as they curved into a tremulous smile. The drops of rain hung on my lashes, and then ran down my cheeks, kissing my lips.

No more thoughts on him...right now I need to figure out why this place was crawling with tons of abnormally looking demons. Usually they would like humanoid in a way but these creatures were much larger than regular demons and only held permanent smiles even when they met their fate.

Didn't even reach my destination yet but I should follow this path...

I quickly dashed through the decimated village.

As the rain increased in its intensity, the sizzling symphony of billions of drops felt like the rain was cackling with joy as it greeted its old friend, the earth.

I quickly dashed into the forest.

Large canopies of leaves that attached to the trees hung high above the land, a thick and green expanse of various leafy shapes.

The pungent, sweet scent of petrichor hit my nostrils. I finally opened my eyes to a tranquil view. The leaves looked fresh, dotted with pearly drops, the flowers sparkled, and the roads gleamed.

Small beams of sunlight left for a slightly dim, yet still bright, light to pool around the forest floor as I swiftly ran through.

Splatter of blood could be see randomly and some bodies could be found. From the looks of it, their skulls split open. There are maggots eating at their brains. It's must have been about a day and the effects of decomposition are showing already, the process probably being sped up with the strange gases in the air.

I quickly charged passed the bodies.

The breeze whipped past me as I cleared the hill and dashed towards the city I was suppose to head to Akihabara, or actually Akibagahara, the city gates of edo and was is predicted to become the next shopping ward.

Hopefully, it wouldn't be like the village...just what exactly was going on in this part of Japan ...