21

It was as if time stood still like never before. The hashira's pupils dilated, some of their hands ached and some of their heart sunk to their feet. Some had twitched, only because they were reacting to probably the first person to ever decline the highest position in the demon slayer corps.

I probably understand their confusion but after living the year and change I had gone through in the north, I just couldn't accept such a lavish position. As always when you do something, there are consequences. If I do accept the position, who would protect the northern region from the demons, would the economy that had built up there come crumbling down and those villagers return to their destitute lifestyle? These were questions that ran through my head as he offered that position my way.

"Are you stupid or dumb?" Someone asked.

My eyes moved on to Sanemi. A great bitterness swept across his face. Probably due to the fact that I had declined the master's offer.

Some of their expressions were also anger, some were shocked, others were puzzled.

"Silence my children," the master calmly ordered, " I understand Y/N's refusal, she wishes to protect those in the north and fears that if she accepts the position that those of the north will fall back to what they were a year and a half back."

"Was he a mind reader as well!"

"But I want to assure you, Y/N, I promise to have slayers attend to that region and can assure that the residents of the north will not be neglected by the demon slayer corps."

My amber eyes traveled to his own before he spoke softly. "Is this true?"

"Hm."

My gaze shifted almost imperceptibly to the side, looking at the walls of this place.

"What if I make a deal with you? If you take the title of Hashira and the residence of the north feel as if they aren't protected by the Demon Slayer Corps within one year, then I will allow you to leave the Demon Slayer Corps while having the privileges of a Hashira where you can ask for as much as you want."

My blood turned to ice and my entire body stilled, absolute shock burning in my veins. For him to even propose that ...was he desperate?

"Master, forgive me for asking this, but why are you desperate to make her a Hashira after she refused? Clearly, she is ungrateful of the title."

My eyes shifted towards a fairly muscular man of short stature and a pale complexion. He had straight-edged black hair of varying lengths, the longest reaching down to his shoulders and the shortest stopping at his cheekbones, which he wears down with two shorter strands hanging between his eyes. But what really interested me were his eyes, his right eye is yellow and his left eye is turquoise, and the snake around his neck looking at me while slithering its tongue my way.

"Because Obanai, she is an exceptional slayer, a slayer that would put all rules and titles aside in order to protect those in need...." the master explained, "I do have to say she is the first to decline the position of Hashira but her reason is why I wish she reconsiders her decision and becomes a Hashira."

My eyes widen at his statement. I looked around and saw the curious stares still focused on my being. Did I pass some type of test by rejecting the offer? But still...

"How did you find out about me aside from the rumors?" I questioned.

"Watch your tone," Sanemi said glaring at me.

"It is as that individual said, it could be a piece of crap what the rumors say about me. After all, rumors are pieces of information or a story that has not been verified. What this means, is that the person telling the story to the other person does not know for certain if it is true or not," I said while narrowing my eyes, "Also, a story as it moves from person to person is bound to change. So I ask you this, how did you know I killed about 300 demons? I told you my bird never reported in due to the biological sequences of crows as they have a tendency to kill their own if they aren't normal nor have slayers been in the northern regions of Japan. Surely the account of Rengoku, Kyojuro, and/or his crow wouldn't be enough to get you to consider me for such a position especially a person who is a mere Hinoe."

"Tengen provided the reports about the killings of the demons and Kasugai crows of the lower level demon slayer dispatched to Hokkaido and Sapporo reported on the recent encounters with Upper Moon 1 and Muzan," the master answered.

I glanced down at Tengen and glared at him. It made sense how the information was provided-it also made sense why Kori was sometimes scratching at the walls or would dig randomly on missions. Tengen's Shino Buff Mice was keeping tabs on me...probably since my run-in with Rengoku.

"I'm going to skew you, Tengen," I muttered low enough for him to hear as he chuckle nervously.

"Although you are a mere Hinoe, it is clear from the reports provided by your cousin and the report provided from Kyojuro that you have the skill of a Hashira, already exceeding the number of demons required to become a Hashira."

I only looked at him a bit stunned in fact. I honestly didn't know what to say...accept the position and get assigned a region that isn't the north and wait one year which can jeopardize the economy of the north and have their hopes crushed or to reject it completely and live life as probably a Kinoe for as long as I live and continue to stay in the north with possibly no assistance from the Demon Slayer Corps. I shifted my eyes from the master down to the gravel. My gaze was penetrating the mere pebbles in this peaceful garden yet my mind was rambled with which decision I should take and it looks like he wasn't giving me a choice to marinate on this.

"Oi...Accept the position, Y/N!" Tengen ordered unenthusiastically, "Uncle would have been proud to see a kunoichi of our clan becoming a Hashira if he was alive, especially his daughter."

Soon the memories of my father passed through my mind...the happy moments and the last moments. I didn't want those villagers whose hope was restored to go through their tough moments once again...

"From the story told by you master and the accounts validated through Tengen's and my reports, I agree that Y/N should be a Hashira!"

His boisterous volume surprised me, making my skin crawl as I glance at him to see him looking directly at the master. That determination was into those orbs of his again.

"I also agree that she should be a Hashira," a soft-spoken voice noted.

I shifted my gaze to the petite young woman with a pale complexion and large, compound-like eyes that lack pupils, only a haze of gradient purple, making her eyes appear similar to those of insects. She had shoulder-length wavy hair that faded from black into dark purple, styled at the back of her head into a flat yakai-maki bun, fastened with a white, turquoise, and light purple butterfly ornament.

"I as well," mentioned the boy, " For her to have cut Muzan's fingers is fascinating...though I probably won't really remember why we chose for her to become a Hashira."

"I also believe that Uzui, Y/N should be a Hashira," someone stoically stated.

Now he caught my interest. A tall young man of a muscular stature and pale complexion, who is almost always seen wearing a serious and emotionless expression. He had unruly black hair of uneven lengths that sticks up in tufts around his head, which he wore tied back in a low messy ponytail at the base of his neck.

"I believe in the master's wishes for Y/N to be a Hashira," the larger male stated.

"I believe, everyone else feels that way after learning about Y/N?" the master questioned the current members of the Hashira and received a unanimous yes.

Even the expressions of those who questioned and opposed the Master at first agreed to his decision. Was it out of respect?

"So Y/N, would you reconsider and become a Hashira?"