47

Hot water poured out as I undressed and poured oils and salt into the tub. The scent of silk flowers filled the room as I carefully got in. The gray stones were smooth and warm, whatever sharp edges they may have had since long evened out by the passage of time and the constant flow of warm water.

Yet my mind rolled back to His flame-lit orbs following my face, committing every detail of me to memory.

Just as she was about to scrub off the dirt clinging to my skin, faint footsteps could be heard passing by. A sigh left my lips as she rose up and wrapped a soft bathrobe around my body. Stepping back into the room, I quickly got dressed and walked out after warning Kori about protecting the elderly woman of the mansion.

As quickly as I left the wisteria mansion, I was at the Ubuyashiki estate walking up the path, with my shoes grazing the gravel below while the sun was high in the sky. The sun's warm rays were gently caressing my face as I passed the gates.

Coming here the first time, I remember fear rolling through my spine being in front of the Hashira. And now fear rolled through once more...only it was the fear of not seeing Rengoku again.

"Ohhhhh...wearing the flashy stealth outfit I see," Tengen teased, "Maybe I should have brought you to the mission in this rather than the other outfit."

I could see a couple of Hashira's eyes rolling their eyes down my relatively tall figure due to my outfit change consisting of a black backless bodysuit that extended to my hands, covering my middle fingers with a gold stud on each of the knuckles. At the back of my bodysuit was an article bearing resemblance to coattails, consisting of white sheer fabric patterned with gray. Barely covering my clothed breast was a cropped white-and-gray sleeveless qipao.

I recalled when we were young, Uzui's younger brother commenting how my childish version of this suit clung to my every curve. All of which hid a well-toned body, crafted by my father's training and my family's lifestyle. Though we were cousins it wasn't common for us to marry due to the shinobi population decreasing...I guess in Uzui's brother's mind, similar to his father's thinking, I was worthy of being a goddess and my sole purpose for him would be to breed reputable heirs for the clan. But given the circumstances, I found solace in another...

"Too bad you don't have a brain up there," I fired back walking past him and taking my place beside Giyuu. He indefinitely froze and then looked at me. We both nodded towards one another and turned our direction forward.

"Now that Y/N has arrived, I can debrief y'all on the growing number of demons," Oyakata-sama greeted warmly, "There has been a large increase of demons carnage lately. Meaning that the threat to human life is greater than it's ever been. I am having Y/N travel eastwards to assist the demon slayers in the area to help eliminate the demons in the area due to her reputation in the north."

"Tsk." my head moved sharply to look at him and soon turned my gaze to the master and his speech.

"Y/N?" Oyakata-sama asked softly, "Muzan appeared yesterday didn't he?"

"So he knew...wonder why he didn't move..."

A quick look of astonishment passes over my face before my normal stoic one replaced it rather quickly.

"He did."

I didn't need to look at the Hashira to know they were once again shocked that I had encountered Muzan and how close he actually was to them.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Sanemi bristled, "You just remained impassive to it all, not caring at the fact that those humans could have turned into demons if Muzan acted."

"But he didn't act."

"How would you know if he wouldn't act?" Sanemi questioned as he drew his sword and pointed it towards me, "Why is Muzan only showing his face around you? If anything it seems as if you are working for Muzan."

"Are you going to attempt to slay me?" I questioned with a stoic look remaining on my face and my attention focused on Oyakata-sama, "Pathetic."

"Sanemi please sheath your weapon," Oyakata asked, "Muzan coming out yesterday and showing himself more than usual exemplifies his trepidation of Y/N's presence, as well as his eagerness to both, obtain her blade and kill her."

Now instead of shock, it was their indiscernible expressions on me. They only scratched the surface of Muzan and I's twisted relationship. If only Tengen's mice and random Kasugai crows didn't flock the area, maybe they wouldn't be on edge.

"Master!" Kyojuro interjected with a grin on his face, "I suggest another Hashira assisting Y/N on her mission. She is not only an effective force in showing demons the power of the Demon Slayer Corps, but she is also a target, and losing her would be devastating."

"You do make a point Kyojuro," Oyakata mentioned, "However, I believe Y/N can handle this mission alone as she handled 300 demons alone in the year she stayed in the north prior to being a Hashira. Unless you feel as if you need another helping hand?"

"I don't," I said with a face that was a blank, perfect mask.

The moment those words left my mouth so impassively...his eyes were on me - I  could feel the weight of his red golden-rimmed gaze bearing down on my shoulders. From the feel of his gaze, it seems that his eyes were fierce.

"For the sake of those who have died, there is only one thing for us to do." Oyakata mentioned with his benevolent smile never faltering, "I believe that, with you who are present today, the Corps Hashira, I've assembled the finest unit since the first breathing swordsman and I look forward to your success."

With that, we all bowed and the pillar meeting was adjourned.

I slowly picked myself up and made my way towards the gates of the estate. Maybe after Sanemi's little outburst and my disapproval of Rengoku's suggestion, he probably wouldn't want to see me out and I sure wasn't going to stay to get hounded out by the rest of the Hashira curious to know about my relationship with Muzan.

"maybe I was wrong..."

I felt a hand grab my arm and pulled me inwards towards someone's chest. Their arms locked around my waist. I looked up to see Kyojuro beaming down at me. His arms around my waist held me securely, his lips curved gently into his owl-like smile as he was staring intently at me. I guess our disagreement didn't sway his decision to see me out.

It wasn't until I heard Mitsuri gasp that I had forgotten that the other Hashira still heard witnessing this.

"Looks like more happened at the festival than Muzan's appearance," Tengen teased with a mischievous grin crossing his face.

My face flushed red from embarrassment. I didn't even want to see the other Hashira's expression towards this gesture Rengoku was displaying.

"I see why Tomioka and yourself aren't together now," Shinbou commented, "Quite the pair that I didn't expect."

Mitsuri, on the other hand, couldn't keep quiet, she was squealing at the gesture and blushing profusely, "I'm so happy for you Rengoku-san! You finally confessed your feelings for Y/N."

He hummed, eyes set on my blushing and extremely flustered stance, "I promised to send you off before your mission and I intended to follow through with my promise."