11

"I am happy to see how strong you have become, Y/N" Tanjuro praised, "though there are something I need to share with you that was given to me as a message from the leader of the Demon Slayer Corp."

My golden eyes only glanced at him as he held his hand to his mouth to stop the coughs. It has been days since I have returned from Final Selection and he didn't seem to be doing so well. Every time I talk to him...I pray it isn't the last. But, Fantasy can only survive with underlying reality, and reality is right in front of me...he is severely ill.

"Though you do not wish to wear the Demon Slayer Corps outfit, please consider adding the material into your clothing as the fabric is quite breathable. It helps to repel moisture and won't burn easily. Low-level demon's talons and/or fangs couldn't even manage to tear the uniform-but that is already done!"

"Thank you, Kie..."

"Also, the Nichirin sword you hold made with your family's special ore...varies in color from owner to owner and each hue has unique properties. It is unknown if anyone like you who have four colors on their blade, especially with the black blade in which little is known about them. According to the records, it is said that those who wield black blades are said to never go far."

"I guess it is another thing I have to prove wrong," I said taking a grasp of the clay cup.

"Hm..." Tanjuro said amused by my bold statement, "Though you aren't of Kamado blood, it is still admirable to see how well you can perform the Hinokami Kagura...hopefully you can help rid the world of these demons."

"Hm..." I hummed while bringing my lips to the cup of the pale white tea that almost seemed to bath in the afternoon sunlight. The taste of it was that of a delicate and subtle flavor profile with hints of sweetness and floral note. I can see why Kie made this brew considering it was my first mission on the other side of Japan. I wonder why they were giving me, a mere Mizunoto a mission like this...a horde of demons...

A horde could mean 5 demons. But I guess I won't know until I get there.

I placed the cup down on the tray and rose from my seated position beside Tanjuro as he looked up and smiled.

"I guess it is time," Tanjuro said.

"I wish you good health Kamado-san," I said as I turned around and respectfully bowed towards him. This man saved me and Kori from a life that would have truly ended if he didn't find us, "Thank you for everything."

He merely smiled and bowed slightly which I honestly didn't expect from him given he was my superior.

"Please come back and visit, I wouldn't want Nezuko balling every night as she did when you went to final selection."

I gave him a small smile and nodded. I turned around and began to walk off towards my journey with Kori beside me and Kasugai crow given to me flying in the direction of the threat.

I had never seen this crow up close but I am quite shocked to see that I didn't notice it from afar, considering this crow was not the typical obsidian hue like most crows in the area but instead a more calcite color. Also, the bird seemed as if the bird was in stress from the lack of feathers that covered its body.

"Northeast...a horde of demons..." I thought as Kori and I followed the crow in the direction of the danger, "It's getting dark...and the wisteria mansion is near...we need to get there before light falls."

I glance down at the wolf as he turned his head upwards to look towards me.

"We need to hurry," I said calmly before dashing forward with the bird and Kori picking up speed.

In the beginning, running like this...I would feel my legs stinging, my lungs burning, and my throat feeling like it might close over at any moment...but now this felt like a mere jog. I just knew tomorrow...was going to be the real test of how strong I have become.