20

"H-Hashira?" I thought.

From what I was told, there are two known methods that allow one to prove that they are worthy of becoming a Hashira: the first method is to accumulate a demon kill count of at least 50 or slay a member of the  Twelve Kizuki as a Kinoe-ranked Demon Slayer. The second and last method is being a Tsuguko of a Hashira, which requires immense talent in of itself, and only takes effect when said Hashira dies or retires.

Neither applied to me since I never reported killing any demon aside from the one I killed with Rengoku's assistance. My crow never reported anything to the master due to the bullying of the other crows. Also, I have never been a Tsuguko to any Hashira. So how could I be considered for the position of Hashira.

"Ah, Master," an extremely tall man with a powerfully built and extremely muscular, spiky black hair and a prominent scar running horizontally across his forehead and a green happy draped over his shoulders as he pulled his bead together and began ...crying, "Who is this woman that you would consider her for a position of Hashira?"

"I also am curious about this woman, from the looks of it she seems weak," the man who was so formal said so casually.

"Besides being the younger cousin of Tengen, she is known throughout Japan as the Kuraokami of the North. Not only has she slain over 300 demons that have covered the northern terrains of Japan, but she has also battled the highest-ranking Twelve Kizuki, met face to face with Kibutsuji cutting off his fingers when he reached for her."

"How the hell did they know all of that...? There were rarely any slayers about and villagers in their right mind knew not to be out of their houses...I was well aware of my surroundings...how did he know so much about me!"

"No way! Impossible!" Uzui said looking down at me, "Even when no Hashira has ever crossed paths with him and upper moon one! You are surely drawing in the wrong crowd!"

His hand pressed harder as he pushed me into the ground while interrogating as the others were eager to get answers as well, "What did he look like? What about his powers? Where did this take place? And you cut his fingers off his body?! Did Uncle teach you something when he left the clan!"

"How did you cut his fingers off?" a short, muscular young man of light complexion with long, straight hair of a black color that fades to mint green as it approached his waist asked in a gentle tone.

Everyone was shouting their own questions my way, yet my eyes fell on Rengoku who only remained stunned at the fact.

Soon the master placed his finger to his lips silencing everyone and having their undivided attention. The respect this man gained from these individuals was astounding.

"She has done more than slay the demons in the northern area. She brought prosperity to the economy in Hokkaido in a year and a half making it comparable to that of Asakusa," the master said, "to those in the north who see her as a savior that provides eternal peace throughout the north. To them, she gives them the fantasy of leaving in a world free of demons as she fights the demons in the underlying reality we live in, tearing them into oblivion and assuring the lives of the residents. Because of her, minimal lives were lost in demon casualty."

Every Hashira eye were now locked on my figure. As much as the attention came, I didn't want any of it-especially from the Hashira.

"Do you see why she deserves to be a Hashira?" the master question, "Can you try to understand?"

"No, I cannot understand, Master," the man Master called Sanemi said, "That story sounds like utter crap! If we were to believe that story, why hasn't any of the Kasugai crows reported on it or why hasn't her Kasugai crow reported on it?"

Soon their eyes landed on the crow on Kori's head as it began to shake timidly at the attention. It's head dropped in shame of not completing its task and a small tear formed at the side of its eye.

"Because the other Kasugai crows were trying to kill them," I said evenly, bringing the attention from the bird and back onto me, "My Kasugai crow was the reason why I stayed up north because they noticed a problem that they brought to the Corps three months prior to the issue escalating and didn't receive a response. Therefore, my Kasugai crow gave me my first unofficial mission regardless of my ranking because they wanted the killings in the region to end."

The silence was loud.

"I see," the master responded as he turned his direction towards me and bent his body over 40 degrees causing everyone including me to be shocked. The leader of the Demon Slayer Corps, bowing towards me, "Forgive me and the corps for our negligence, if we had listened to the reports, we could have sent reinforcements and prevented the lives of many innocent children."

Uzui's hand slowly lifted from my head as I was able to slowly get up from my uncomfortable position and look at the master.

"I can forgive you but forgetting the face of seeing those innocent children as they became mindless slaves of that demon...and the sadness of the parents who lost their child will forever be etched into my mind and the mind of the villagers," I mumbled as I lowered my head and a single tear tickled my cheek. I slowly rose my body from the ground and properly bowed before him, "So thank you kindly for the offer...but I will have to politely decline to become the 10th Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corp."