43

I guess when you have peace and quiet and you are deep in your thoughts...you noticed the finishing touches of golden threads thrown atop teahouses and strings of light draped around trees, forever shining the area with an esteemed glow.

The light in this area wafted through showing that there was life here.

Still, vendors and merchants were selling, presenting all their goods and little treats paved a path through the area, forcing patrons into viewing the items for sale and giving in to their temptations. Children ran past giggling together while holding kites lit up by the light or their prize that they won.

The pleasant atmosphere would have brought a smile to my face but now that Giyuu was gone...I was stuck with Rengoku, the man the dumb emotions always choose to react to.

"I want to take you somewhere!" Rengoku announced.

Before I can even reject, he grabbed my hand and yanked me up!

I glanced down at my hands to see how our fingers were intertwined with one another. Warmth erupts over me like a volcano, fluttering in my chest and painting my cheeks a rosy red.

Before I knew it, Rengoku brought us in front of a food stall, pulling me towards the stall. His eyes sparkled at the arrangement of food laid out. "A Kuraokami and the Flame Hashira I suppose? Here to try out some of our specialties?" asked the man in front of the stall.

Rengoku nodded eagerly. "What do you recommend?"

"Well, how about this?" He pointed to one of the skewers. "Grilled fish tiger! It is lightly picked and swiftly grilled..."

While the stall vendor explained all the different types of food he displayed and Rengoku eagerly listened, I just couldn't help but wonder why Rengoku brought me with him to go to this stand. He could have gone with Uzui.

"I will have one of everything!" Rengoku yelled enthusiastically.

I honestly was lost for words and simply sighed.

Rengoku and I walked off.

"You must try this, Y/N!" Rengoku mentioned as he leaned closer with a fish skewered waved in my face with a bite missing from it, staring at me with a cheerful smile.

I found it unnerving when he did that, especially now when some of the residents were eyeing the interaction, gazed at me on top of it. But from the weeks he constantly made it his duty to visit me at the wisteria mansion on the other side of town from his, he was just being the ardent and caring person he was. Again, another win for Kanroji.

"I'm full," I mumbled turning my head away from his advances.

The honey-tufted red-tipped-haired man gave me a knowing look before his bright smile softened for a moment and he devoured his skewer's contents, "UMAI!"

My eyes slightly widen from the outburst and back in front of me. Maybe if I remain impassive he will leave me alone....then again, that hasn't worked at all from the time I resided in the wisteria mansion.

"Y/N! come here! Let's play this game!"

I watched as his eyes shone with excitement and curiosity and he quickly called me over, practically jumping up and down.

I looked over to see him near a game where it looks as if the objective of the game is to get the yo-yo using a string made of paper with a hook attached to its end. As soon as the vendor called it, Rengoku quickly fished the yo-yo out shocking the vendor and the spectators around.

The vendor allowed him to pick his prize. His eyes combed through the man prize but his finger pointed to a particular one: a snow rabbit in a sculpture of a sphere with a small light blue charm at the end of the chain, symbolizing a snowflake.

"Excellent choice-you've got a keen eye!" The vendor exclaimed and laughed as he saw me looking elsewhere, went on to explain the origins and manufacturing, "They say it is supposed to offer the one you love devotion and protection under the premise that you would be giving them the whole world."

A gentle hue of red painted his cheeks, along with a large, warm smile.

Time seemed to pass slowly when I was with Rengoku.

It was nice to see that he was happy but he shouldn't be doing this with me.

He shouldn't be with me...

My eyes diverted to my side as my hand drew into a fist.

So I took my chance.

I took a chance, and without any word I turned around, running from Rengoku, not looking back behind me as tears streamed down my face.