60

The moment our lips met, time slowed, yet my mind raced, hovering and darting about like a hummingbird, while my body remains slow as a garden statue. As our faces linger just inches from each other, our eyes closed savoring the touch of one another. Wordlessly. Smiling. All the while, your heart beats like those blurry wings of a hummingbird. All the while, my heart beat like those blurry wings of a hummingbird.

The heat rose in my cheeks as my tongue touched Rengoku's, quick and electric and delicious, then firmer, more determined, more curious about the heat that lay within, seeking to chase down that elusive liquid lightning that reached through both of them.

Shivers ran down my spine. Goosebumps were all over my body. My nerves got the best of me, and my mind was completely unaware of everything but the person in front of me. Not a single other care in the world. No frustrations anywhere to be found. A dream I could only imagine if there weren't any demons in this world.

And with every moment, without even knowing it, my soul was invested in each breath I shared with him.

When our lips parted, a thin trail of saliva followed only to disappear as we both opened our eyes. Looking into his mesmerizing red and gold eyes...it was clear that kiss symbolized what Uzui said that night I left headquarters.

"...but as much as you want to run from your feelings," Uzui began, "Rengoku, will not allow it... Rengoku is set on having a future with you and his resolve never wavers when he believes strongly in something or wants to attain it."

10 months of us being separated and the longing of us being away from one another...only grew. This longing was filled with wonder, honesty, and an expression of a desire to make me feel beautiful and act as a reminder. The way his eyes gleamed with overwhelming positivity and drive.

"I wanted to do that since the festival but you didn't seem ready that night," Rengoku explained, "It wasn't until Tengen and I talked that he told me about that mission he had you act as his fourth wife that a demon forced itself upon you and forcefully kissed you."

"Tengen did know...those DAMN Mice!"

"I wish I didn't have to hear so much about you through your cousin," Rengoku mentioned somberly, "Hopefully, you will open up to me."

I simply turned my head away from his, flustered by his action. You still remained stunned before quietly muttering, "Yeah..."

There was this feeling of security in his voice that made me consider opening my heart a bit more to him.

"For now, we need to get you to the wisteria mansion so the doctor can look at your wound!" Rengoku exclaimed.

Before I can even get a word in, I felt my body being swept from under my knees. Instinctively, my arms grabbed onto what was nearby to brace my position. My eyes widen when I realized my arms were around Rengoku's neck as he smile looking down at me. At this point, my blush had gone nuclear and was radiating down into the covered part of my fur scarf. He had one arm under my legs and the other supporting my back.

"I-I can w-walk Rengoku!" I muttered.

Stuttering, what is happening to me. How did his actions reduce me to such a weak state?

"Even so, I still want to bring you there," Kyojuro's voice boomed out in the snowy terrain as he began to walk towards the path of the city.

As he walked onwards, I couldn't believe that this was really happening. I have been guarding my heart tightly and refusing to let anyone close to me besides Giyuu, Tanjiro's, Nezuko, Tengen, and his wives. I was convinced that if I disregard my feelings for this man, I would be focused on making this world a peaceful place by eradicating demons and putting an end to all of this.

But yet...you, Kyojuro wanted to teach me how to trust in love. You make me try to keep my dark emotions at bay and not let negativity get the best of me. You make me feel at ease in my own skin and accept me for the person I am despite all my flaws and insecurities.

Everything seemed magical as you walked through the blanket of white enveloping my region and the snowflakes falling like precious diamonds from the sky. The closer we were getting to the city, the more the damp pine cones, and fresh crisp air started to smell different.

The heat he radiated from his body, eased me into sleep. Everything that happened was foreign to me and yet it was comforting.

You are worth the risk for I am deeply in love with you, but I cannot have Muzan use you against me. You are worth the risk, every bit of it, and I have no regret knowing you. I have no regret in loving you, so now...I must protect you.