35

I swung my sword to the side removing the blood of the demon off my blade.

"Overkill much," Uzui commented.

"Be grateful that it wasn't you earlier," I said while I tilted my head to the side, almost curiously, though my expression remained the same. Cold, nonchalant, completely uninterested. I sheathed my blade and walked off back into the town. Leaving Uzui completely stunned.

Uzui took a breath in and sighed. The mission was done and Uzui would be able to report into headquarters on the battle. He probably would be off to another mission soon.

I still had to get situated at the Wistera Mansion close to headquarters and go through the chores since I would be assisting an elderly woman there. This mission was a little detour from that. But maybe this mission wasn't all bad considering that it showed me how much I still needed to grow.

Maybe using this time would be good.

It was time I could use to hone my skills and train. It was clear that I needed to train if a demon was able to read my emotions so easily.

I entered the room and slid the door shut.

I walked up towards the small vanity mirror in the room and looked at the bruises of midnight blues and plum purples lay in inky strips across my skin, painful and beautiful against my skin nearly glowing in the incoming morning light. Every breath I took in, I could see the markings rise with each inhale-serving as a reminder of how close to death I was all because of my feelings.

Flecks of my blood marring the wooden floors from the marks the demon left. I moved the mirror towards the scratch marks of the demon's nails were red and angry and threatened to sprawl over the corners of my face.

The demon and Uzui were telling me that I was beautiful. But here I was, standing in front of the mirror, anxiously looking at my reflection, eyes full of worries and doubts. I looked closer and saw my scars, wounds, and puffy eyes.

A beautiful soul is more valuable than a beautiful face.

If only I wasn't forced to survive and I was fortunate to have my parents beside me. Now I have wounds that sometimes bring pain and tell my stories. I know that I am beautiful and each part of me was perfectly sculptured and every detail completed my distinctiveness. I knew who I was but I didn't know what I wanted...especially since what I wanted was taken.

There was nothing more terrifying in life than getting to see this part of me– truly.

I looked into this mirror and it reminded me that I was a person with layers and complexities and character. I could stare at myself until cracks appear over time.  I can tell Uzui was glancing, taking in my individuality at face value. He has seen me as a trained kunoichi in the clan and as someone who became colder and rash as time passed. He can see how I was polarized and conflicted.

But...

"This was the path I chose....the one that coexisting between life and death."

Maybe he was trying to take the cracks that distorted my view and forcing me to see what is beneath the mask I had to build...

I took the mirror and threw it against the wall. The once the smooth surface flecked with dust and stains of old age shattered into pieces.

"I refuse for such trivial things to cloud my judgment and let my opponents see my weakness."