【60】New York, New York

Start from the beginning

Lex stepped into the room, unfazed, and I followed, my gaze wandering all over the luxurious interior. We entered through a beautiful living room, modern in its decoration, and very tasteful, even though it felt unpersonal. The two men in charge of our security waited outside as the staff ones came in. The bellboy asked where he should put our things, and Lex showed him which bags belonged to the master bedroom, and which one could be left here. As he spoke with the manager, I explored the rest of the suite, baffled that all of this space was for us. There were two master suites, an office, a conference room, a small gym with three machines and weights, the vast common room we'd arrived in, and a terrasse that overlooked Central Park of at least two hundred square foot. There even was a fully equipped kitchen, which was clearly meant for a staffer, since it wasn't as lush as the rest of the place.

Hot damn, this was so much more than I'd expected...

Maybe staying locked in here wouldn't be that hard in the end. Not with such a fantastic view, and not with so much space to move around. And we would have a few necessary outings, so I would get to enjoy some of the city.

"Are you sure you want to wave the cleaning services?" the hotel manager was asking Lex when I came back.

"Yes. As Miss Marleane must have told you, our stay here is to remain as discreet as possible. We will contact the reception when we need the bed to be changed or when maids can come to clean. But we mustn't be disturbed without our approval."

"Of course, sir. Will you be using the hotel's room service?"

"We might, but someone from our security must be allowed to oversee the food preparation each time."

Not gonna lie, even I found it a little extreme. Some part of me knew that if Lex was being this cautious about everything, it was because I was involved. More than anything, he wanted to keep me safe. That was why I wasn't making a fuss about it, and letting him dictate the rules of our stay here.

"Well, if you have any question, I'm at your disposal," the manager said, in a way that was a little obsequious. "If you need anything, you can call the lobby and ask to speak with me or my assistant. The staff has been instructed to pass you through. You must be very dear to Miss Marleane, as she asked that you weren't charged for the room and received the best possible treatment."

Oh, that was generous of her. I didn't even want to imagine the cost of such a suite. Not that Lex couldn't afford it, but spending so much money on luxuries we didn't need felt wrong.

"Yes, we are old friends," Lex confirmed with a slight smile.

Old friends who used to be married, I thought to myself.

The manager and the bellboy left us alone, not after Lex had slipped a triple digit bill to the bag man, and the two security men came into the room for a quick check. They assessed what were the weak spots – the balcony, the main doors, and the service entrance by the kitchen – and then cleared with us how things would work out. A team of six men would relay each other in the adjacent room to guard the door. From their room, they had direct access to the suite, and apparently could be here in under twenty seconds. They gave us a remote with a panic button that we needed to push in case an intruder managed to get in.

They offered to set up a more thorough surveillance, with hidden cameras in strategic spots, but both Lex and I decided against it. Yes to being safe, no to having our privacy violated. After a few more minutes of explanations, the men left us to head to their own room. Suddenly, we found ourselves alone for the first time in a few hours.

Without a word, I made my way to the balcony, and leaned onto the stone balustrade, watching the giant park below and the cars, buses, and taxis, making their way into the streets, thirty-two floors beneath us. The weather was amazing, sunny and warm. It was windy up here, so the heat of the mid-summer wasn't as suffocating as it must be down there. Thanks to the park and the emptiness in front of us, the noises of the streets weren't too overwhelming, like a distant murmur. I didn't mind it, since it was only the city's life, her heartbeat and breaths.