【05】Making New Allies

With our warm paper bags in our hands, we headed to a small park, with the hope to find a free bench there

An old couple got up from one as we arrived, and we didn't miss the lucky opportunity to take their places. In the end, I'd caved in and chosen the most basic menu you could get there, a Big Mac with French fries and a coke.

The air was rather chilly, but the food on my lap kept me warm. It really wasn't the best way to spend our break, but the fresh air and the distractions surrounding us felt good. It allowed me to clear my head for a moment, which rarely happened lately.

When I fished my burger out of my bag and unwrapped it, my improving mood was ruined by an intrusive memory. The first time I'd convinced Lex to get takeout from McDonald's, he'd been entirely unimpressed by the experience. Upon discovering the shitty-looking sandwich he'd gotten, he'd argued they could at least pretend they were trying to recreate the hamburgers displayed in the pictures. His first reluctant bite in it had resulted in more complaints, as the taste and texture weren't to his likings either.

Because it was something I loved, I wanted him to at least tolerate it. Hoping positive reinforcement might work, I'd offered to suck him off once we were done eating, at the sole condition that he didn't complain anymore, disapproving grunts included. Never one to say no to a good time spent in my mouth, Lex had accepted the challenge, passing it with flying colors.

As I'd later found out, my efforts—although greatly enjoyed by both of us—had proved unfruitful, since he was complaining and grumbling the next time we ordered again at the famous fast-food provider. Either my technique worked too well, and he was trying to score himself more head, or he was a helpless cause and couldn't be seduced into liking McDonald's products.

The fond memories those moments had left me with came back rushing as I sat next to Oliver, staring at my underwhelming Big Mac, which looked like it had been through a car crash.

Lex couldn't lose the trial. There was so much more I wanted to show him, to teach him, to make him discover. There were so many more moments we had to live, to create, and to experience. There was no way this was the end of our line. We had so much more in store, infinite happiness, endless love, and relentless passion.

"Are you okay?" Oli asked next to me.

Understanding I'd been staring at my Big Mac like an idiot, I turned to him abruptly, only sensing too late that I'd also been crying. Shit, how the fuck could a sandwich make me cry?

With a shaky hand, I wiped away the tears. The best thing I could muster was an apologetic wince. "Sorry... I promised myself I wouldn't cry today, I guess that was too much to ask."

"It's okay, Andy. I think, and the guys too, we think you are being incredibly courageous through all this. You're still coming to work, still putting on a brave face, still finding the strength to smile. I know you feel like sometimes people are pitying you, and maybe some are, but you should know it's not what we are doing. We are trying to be supportive. We want to help you—and Lex—the best we can."