【40】Great Escapism

Comincia dall'inizio

"Canadians don't give a shit about American news. And the place we're heading to is relatively remote. There won't be that many people to make the connection."

Since he disappeared into the barn, I was forced to leave the car's side to keep talking to him. The inside of the wooden shed was more or less what one would expect of a barn, with various things scattered all around it. In the middle of it, though, there was something massive, covered by some old and dusty cloth. Seemingly comfortable around the place, he pulled on it, revealing a big Chevy that looked brand new.

"Lex, what's this place?"

"Seven years ago, I bought the land and the farm on it. The owners were crushed by debts, and they had no choice but to sell. So I acquired it for a very generous sum, and then offered them a one dollar lease, for the next ninety-nine years. All I asked for in exchange was that they allowed me to keep a car in their barn, which I might need to access at any given time. It's part of our agreement that they make sure it's still running."

"Aren't you worried they might denounce us?"

"They don't know who I am. Never met them face to face, and my name never actually came up. Also, I saved them from losing a property that's been in the family for seven generations. Their gratitude ensures their silence. And, I picked them exactly because they are good, honest people. I knew they'd respect their end of the bargain, because I'd researched them thoroughly."

As he'd explained it all to me, he'd gotten a key out of an old, rusty can which had a few paint brushes in it. He clicked on the buttons on the key, and the car's headlights blinked three times. "Was this all part of your original plan to escape if they ever found out you were Nammota?"

"Yes, that part is. But I've had to alter the rest, to include you in it."

With ease, he climbed into the car and started its engine. Quite stunned by the extent of his meticulousness, I moved to the side so he could drive it out of the barn. Once it was out, he returned to my Ford and transferred our stuff into the new car. Then, he drove mine into the barn. I watched him do the opposite process, covering it with the cloth, dropping its key into the can, and then he closed the barn doors and turned the key in the padlock.

Without a word, he assisted me into the second car, which was easier to get into than the Ford. Its height was perfect for me to not struggle with broad gestures. Once I was settled in, he went around it and climbed into the driver's seat again. From the glove compartment in front of me, he retrieved a very thick package, which had a very distinctive seal on it. After he'd checked that it was untouched, he tore it open and took a few things out of it. Among them, there were several bundles of Canadian bills, which amounted to twenty-five thousand Canadian dollars, as well as a burgundy passport with golden lettering. He threw the latter on the console between us and set the money in his bag. Curious, I picked up the British passport and inspected what was inside.

Sure enough, there was a picture of him, along with a fake name. "Clive Thomas Langston?" I asked.

"Hmm... First and second were honestly picked at random. Langston is a family surname on my mother's side. Not hers, but a good portion of her family is named Langston."

"It sounds fancy as fuck."

"Well, they are part of the British aristocracy."

"Neat. Okay, but for real, how were you going to pass as British? I mean, people can guess you're American as soon as you open your mouth."

"But are you absolutely sure they would?" he asked in what must have been the most flawlessly executed English accent I'd ever heard. Holy fucking shit, he sounded so hot. A little posh, and very, very fuckable.