• twenty-one •

By the time Monday rolled around, I was pretty exhausted

By the time Monday rolled around, I was pretty exhausted.  My relaxing weekend had turned out to be just the opposite.  I would never turn down a trip to the lake with Donna and the kids, but it had taken a lot out of me, to say the least.  On my way into the office, Grenadine told me that Mr. Watson wanted to speak with me.  I thanked her for the message, making my way down the hall.  Harry was in the middle of his broadcast of course, but he didn't glance up from his paper.  I assumed whatever he was talking about was deeply important, though my thoughts dissipated when I made it to Mr. Watson's office.

"Good morning!" he grinned.  "I feel like we've barely talked recently.  Then again, I know you're doing big things for the radio station, so I pin it on that.  That newsletter of yours went out today, I sure think it will bring in a lot of viewers and possible clues."

It was true.  The newsletter had gone out today, and I was excited to see the turnout.  I knew Harry had gotten a P.O. box last week, he had mentioned the idea to Mr. Watson after I did and said he had been excited about it.  Of course, Mr. Watson liked the idea, but I knew if he had been hesitant, it would have sealed the deal for sure.  After all, Harry was his favorite radio host at the station.

"So, you know that grant you wrote up for me a couple of weeks ago?" he asked.

"I do."

"Well, we got accepted.  That's a hundred grand.  We still need more, but I just wanted to thank you so much.  There is actually another grant opportunity dropping this week, so I'll have more details to come.  If you would be willing to help me again, though, I would greatly appreciate it!"

We had gotten a hundred thousand dollar grant because of my writing? I had written grant applications for my school in the past, but those were small funds; anywhere from a thousand to two thousand dollars.  The thought of being able to persuade someone into giving Dawn FM a hundred times that minuscule amount was absolutely insane to me.  I was excited, the fact that he would want me to write another one something that made me feel like I was actually doing a great job.

"You're slowly securing your long term placement here, Miss Holmes," Mr. Watson chuckled.  "If you keep this up, I won't want you to leave in the slightest."

"Thank you so much.  You have no idea how much this means to me."

"No, thank you so much again.  I will be having my assistant put together a little dinner event for the station soon.  Keep an eye out for the invite."

I nodded, still finding it absolutely insane that I had gotten the station so much money based on my writing skills.  It allowed me to feel hope for the future and my career in radio.  Sure, I was doing behind the scenes stuff, but this could get my name in the mouths of people who were interested in what else I could do.  This temp placement position was turning out to be far more beneficial to me than I could have ever imagined, and I had Mr. Watson to thank for it.