• six •

Yesterday's weather might have been more than perfect, but today was nowhere near that

     Yesterday's weather might have been more than perfect, but today was nowhere near that.  I didn't know how Florida did it, but overnight the air had turned humid, muggy, and suffocating to an extent.  I was now dreading the walk to work, but I decided if I took a few essentials I could fix myself up in the bathroom once I got there. At least, I felt it was the best I could do, all things considered.

The walk to work, as I had already anticipated, was not peaceful.  Instead, there were bugs, I felt sweaty, and my hair was certainly frizzy now with all the humidity attacking it.  I was not excited to see what I looked like when I arrived at work.  But, I knew that I would have to get there eventually and face myself in a mirror.

When I walked inside Dawn FM, the station was cool.  It was such a relief in comparison to the disgusting outside air.  Grenadine smiled at me when I walked in, the familiar face beginning to become someone that I enjoyed seeing every morning.  After all, she was such a kind woman that I couldn't imagine a nicer person to start my day with.

"And how are you doing on this nice humid Wednesday?" Grenadine asked.

"Oh, it certainly goes.  Harry showed me the bathrooms one time, but can you just point me in the correct direction?"

She nodded, telling me that Mr. Watson wanted to speak with me when I got a chance.  Thanking her, I headed toward the bathroom.  It didn't take long as all for me to set my blazer and purse down on the counter.  I was delighted to see I did not look half as bad as I had been anticipating.  After I grabbed some toilet tissue, I then began to dab my forehead, under my eyes, and above my lip.  Those were the three spots that I felt looked the most sweaty.  It was followed by tossing the tissue out, leaving me to open my bag and reapply some powder to the few spots I had just dabbed. 

I was quick to reapply some antiperspirant as well, knowing that I probably was in the clear but I wanted to be certain.  After that, I spritzed some perfume on my wrists and neck, hoping that I was fully refreshed now.  Slipping on my blazer since I had cooled off, I washed my hands, heading out of the bathroom and toward Mr. Watson's office.  Of course, I had to walk by Harry, though.  It was no surprise.  And, while I would have liked to not make eye contact with the guy, it was truly impossible.  He was so enthralling to look at, that I wasn't sure how anyone sitting on the floor with him behind them could truly work. 

Of course he was animated when he spoke.  He always was.  I had absolutely no idea how he could do it, but it was like I could tell he truly enjoyed his job.  This wasn't something he ever wanted to quit, and I aspired to enjoy my job just as much as he did.  Though, it was obvious when he noticed me, his eyes narrowing briefly before he smirked.  It was a much different reaction than the first day I saw him, but I watched as he sent me a small wave, leaving me to send a small one back before I quickly walked down the hall to Mr. Watson's office.

Knocking on my boss' door, it was a few moments before I heard shuffling, followed by the door being pulled open.  He looked somewhat irritated, but it wasn't long until the look on his face changed to one of excitement, Mr. Watson inviting me into his office.