• twelve •

Murder

     Murder.  Another murder.  I was freaked out, of course.  I was scared at how this person was killing just about weekly, and almost always the victims were found in a place that wasn't too far away from where I lived.  I mean, it wasn't like the victims were in my backyard, but they were usually only about twenty to thirty minutes away from me and that was terrifying.  I thought about how even if Harry wanted to talk about people like the Night Stalker, he couldn't.  There was so much going on in Winter Haven, and since he was the host of a very popular true crime radio segment, and that segment took place in Winter Haven, people wanted to know about it.  They wanted him to cover the, I hated to say it, gorey details about the gruesome murders taking place in his hometown. 

By the time I got to my office, turned on the radio, and got situated into my desk, it was a little past nine.  I hadn't heard much yet, just that Grenadine had told me there was another murder and asked if I was being careful at my home.  She was looking out for me, and I thought it was especially sweet.  Though, I couldn't lie.  I was definitely scared.

"Good morning, Dawn FM listeners.  It is nine-ten on this Monday morning.  For those of you just tuning in, I am discussing yet another murder that has taken place in Winter Haven.  Miss Beverley Park, aged twenty-three.  I've gotten word from the Winter Haven Police Department that it looks like this was a two part crime.  I say two parts because, well, they found pieces of her at one location and another."

They found her body spread out between multiple locations? As in, she was ripped into pieces? I felt sick to my stomach.  There was no way this was true.  My heart was sinking the longer I thought about it.  How could this be happening? How could this be taking place right here and now? I got up out of my seat, knowing that there was no way I could listen to more of this.  Not when it was so close to home for me.

I tried to focus on my work, knowing that I needed to begin working on a newsletter for next week.  I wanted to keep them interesting.  My first week here I had done basics, last week I managed to come up with an idea where people sent in their funniest jokes for Mr. Huntington's segment and they could get the opportunity to go to a stand-up comedy show where he was performing.  Mr. Watson had liked that one a lot because it gave more people the opportunity to listen to Mr. Huntington.  Apparently, the little contest had shot his viewers up twenty-percent, so Mr. Watson was more than pleased.

Now, I was stuck thinking about what I should have done for this upcoming week.  I felt like with all of the murders going on, it should have probably been something with Harry, but I didn't know what would be best.  Scribbling notes on my papers, I jumped when there was a knock at the door.  Glancing at my clock, I was shocked that an hour had gone by, but, living in my head time usually went by quickly.

"Uh, come in," I called.

The door was pushed open, my eyes focusing on the admirable man.  He had on a white Led Zeppelin T-shirt with a baggy pair of jeans, there being rips in the knees.  It was such a casual outfit, even more causal, I felt, than when he had come to my house to fix up things previously.  I watched as he carefully shut the door behind him, Harry coming to sit in one of the chairs in front of my desk.  Though, per usual, he picked up something off of my desk, studying it before he glanced at me.