109|Give Me a Sign

Start from the beginning

"How can you think that?"

"Well, I'm thinking a lot of things right now, Cass."

"Listen. Raphael will kill us all. He'll turn the world into a graveyard. I had no choice."

"No, you had a choice," Dean shook his head. "You just made the wrong one."

"You don't understand. It's complicated."

"No, actually it's not, and you know that. Why else would you keep this whole thing a secret, huh, unless you knew it was wrong? When crap like this comes around, we deal with it... Like we always have. What we don't do is we don't go and make another deal with the Devil!"

"It sounds so simple when you say it like that. Where were you when I needed to hear it?"

"I was there. Where were you?"

He was right, of course. He and Eleanor had both been right there, and instead of going to them and interrupting their perfect life, I chose to listen to Crowley instead.

"You should've come to us for help, Cass," Dean continued.

"Maybe," I admitted just as the wind picked up and a dark cloud of demon smoke approached the house. "It's too late now. I can't turn back now. I can't."

"It's not too late. Damn it, Cass! We can fix this!"

"Dean, it's not broken! Run. You have to run now! Run!"

All three of them turned and bolted out the door, leaving me standing there, trapped as my partner arrived.

"My, my. Playing with fire again?"

Crowley snapped his fingers, freeing me.

"If you touch the Winchesters-"

"Please. I heard you the first time. I promise- nary a hair on their artfully tousled heads. Besides, I think they've proven their point for me. It's always your friends, isn't it, in the end? We try to change. We try to improve ourselves. It's always our friends who got to claw at our insides and hold us back. But you know what I see here? The new God..."

He pointed at me.

"And the new Devil," he pointed back at himself, "working together."

"Enough. Stop talking. Get out of my sight."

"Well... Glad I came. You're welcome, by the way," Crowley turned back to head out the door. "You know the difference between you and me? I know what I am. What are you, Castiel? What exactly are you willing to do?"

Late that night, I found Dean pacing in Bobby's kitchen. The rest of the house was quiet.

"Hello, Dean."

"How'd you get in here?" he demanded, stopping his back and forth motion to glare at me.

"The angel-proofing Bobby put up on the house- he got a few things wrong."

"Well, it's too bad we got to angel-proof in the first place, isn't it? Why are you here?"

"I want you to understand."

"Oh, believe me, I get it. Blah, blah, Raphael, right?"

"I'm doing this for you, Dean. I'm doing this because of you. And Eleanor."

"Because of us," Dean scoffed. "Yeah. You got to be kidding me."

"You're the one who taught me that freedom and free will-"

"You're a freaking child, you know that? Just because you can do what you want doesn't mean that you get to do what you want!"

"I know what I'm doing, Dean."

"I'm not gonna logic you, okay? I'm saying don't... Just cause. I'm asking you not to. That's it. Ellie wants the same thing."

"I don't understand," I admitted.

"Look, next to Sam, you, Ellie and Bobby are the closest things I have to family- that you are like a brother to me. So, if I am asking you to do something... You got to trust me, man."

"Or what?"

"Or I'll have to do what I have to do to stop you."

"You can't, Dean. You're just a man. I'm an angel."

"I don't know. I've taken on some pretty big fish."

"I'm sorry, Dean."

"Then, I'm sorry, too."

So, that's everything. I believe it's what you would call a... tragedy from the human perspective. But maybe the human perspective is... limited. I don't know. That's why I'm asking you, Father. One last time. Am I doing the right thing? Am I on the right path? You have to tell me. You have to give me... a sign. Give me a sign. Because if you don't... I'm gonna ju- I'm gonna do whatever I... whatever I must.