"How did it survive my weight?" 

I asked in between our laughs. Czes didn't miss a second before bursting into another set of laughter. And there's this man standing and staring us down (we're already down), his face filled with indifference. I gesture Czes to help me up and he picks me from the floor. I rub my back in a pained expression though my eyes were filled with wit.

"Is it hurting?"

"Not much." I say containing my laugh.

For a moment the room is silent, other than the remnants of our laughter hanging around in the air. We glance at each other often and smile, our eyes sparkling with unspoken laughter, proof that the incident is still funny and fresh in our minds. 

"So, Shaurya. As I was saying, it would be good if you gave these books to Tara."

What? I don't need his books. I have my own. I'll buy more.  And there's library. Why would I want his books anyway. Before I could say no, the professor nods in return. He gets his bag and starts unpacking.

"I don't want the books." I say in a low voice.

"Take it. Carl used them. It's not available in the library."

"I'll buy."

"Don't. It's expensive. Take them."

It's expensive to the professors means it'll probably cost me a fortune. I should listen to him. We wait for him to categorize the books, which he does slowly, or does it appear in a slow motion only to me? My eyes are on his fingers which are busy straightening the folded edges of the pages. His fingers look smooth and soft without any scars or marks. Look at my hand after using the lab for five minutes, it'll be covered with yellow acid attacks. He's wearing the same apple smartwatch that he had on the other day at the coffeeshop. He interrupts me with a bland question.

"Are you taking them now?"

If I say no I'll probably have to get it from him some other time. Which means spending more time around him. So, it's definitely a yes. 

"Yes."

"Do you have a backpack?"

I had a backpack. I had brought a backpack with me in the morning with all my reports and papers. I forgot to take it back while coming out of the hall. Perfect.

"Yes" I say "but I left it in the meeting hall."

"So?"

"I'll carry them to the hall. He'll help me with it." I signal towards Czes.

I take the books from him, careful not to unintentionally make any skin contact with his. They are 7 books in total and they're so heavy that it made a small red mark on my palms while holding it. Czes took five of them from me which made my hands bounds back to life. 

"Thank you, professor."

His eyes lit up with amusement. His lips take a slight curve upwards and it disappeared as fast as it showed up. I can bet on my remaining one percent brownie that if his smile went all the way up to it's brim, I would see dimples on his cheek. 

"You can call me Shaurya."

Oh. When did that happen? Calling him Shaurya is fine? For someone who didn't even care to introduce, he's lucky I'm thanking him at all. Now he wants me to call him by his first name. Of course, I can take a step forward. 

"You should reserve that for your friends, professor."

A step forward to my pride. If this were a scene from a movie or series, there would be people applauding and cheering me from the background, throwing flowers and kisses at me. Maybe a song too. Unstoppable by Sia would be perfect.

The professor looked surprised at my sudden throwback. His face showed that he was clearly not expecting that from me. For the first time I've shocked him and he has nothing to give back. He is upset. To save us from killing each other with our deathly stares, Czes stepped up. 

"See you, Shaurya." He says pulling me out of the tension.

On reaching the exit, he turned to face the professor again.

"Care to help me with the cleaning?"

The professor shrugged off his comment. He is clearly disturbed. My eyes grew wider and I can't stop myself from grinning secretly.

"I'll help you with it, Czes." I say with a wink as I see the professor narrow his eyes towards Czes at my mention of his first name "If you can handle my clumsiness, that is."

He gives me a doubtful laugh and I smiled at him. We walk back down the stair out of the building, my face still plastered with the biggest smile.

"Why are you still smiling?"

"Finally, I win."