28. He Can't Speak

Start from the beginning

I zone out for a bit, trying to figure things out. What will I say to Newt. Pretty lucky Gally's not here to have a go at me. Does Thomas not think we're friends or something?

All of a sudden, someone kicks there chair, which immediately grabs my attention. Good ol' Frypan, disturbing my daydreaming.
"Well, you'd better start talking about this magical escape, then!"

Newt speaks calmly in response to Fry's outburst, "He will. Shut up and listen." His response makes me smile. How does he always make me smile when I feel down?

Minho, out of the blue, suddenly comments on what Thomas is saying, "Something tells me I'm not gonna like what I'm about to hear."

"Probably not" Thomas replies. "The Creators want the best for us for whatever it is they have planned. But we have to earn it." No one says a word.

"That's your cue, Tommy" I say, leaning forward in my seat. Alby lifts a hand and is about to say something, but I cut him off. "Allow me, Alby. No, I don't want to leave. Yes, I'm sure. Okay, I'll sit and shut my shuck mouth."

"The code" Thomas says simply as if it answers all our prayers.

"The code" You can actually see Frypan's face light up like a flare at the chance of there being hope. Guess it's better than him douting everything they say. "What about it?"

"It was hidden in the wall movements of the Maze for a reason. I should know - I was there when the Creators did it."

I expected commotion, but instead, dead silence.

Newt, as confused as the rest of us, spoke first. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, first there's something I have to share. About me and Teresa" Thank god he's not including me this time! "There's a reason Gally accused me of so much stuff, and why everyone who's gone through the Changing recognises me.
Teresa and I are . . . different. We were part of the Maze Trials from the very beginning - but against out will, I swear it."

Minho scoffed at Thomas' statement, "Thomas, what're you talking about?"

"Teresa and I were used by the Creators. If you had your full memories back, you'd probably want to kill me. But I had to tell you myself to show you we can be trusted now. So you'll believe me when I tell you the only way we can get out of here."

"Back up a minute" Minho replies. "Why would we want to kill you. All you did was put us in here. Right?"

Thomas drops his head in shame, "No. We helped design the Maze. We helped to take away your memories and our own. And we created and altered the Variables." Thomas looks pointedly at me for that last but, as you probably would have guessed.

I feel stares on me once more, and after the reminder that I'm a Variable, this just pushes me over the edge.
I stand up and glare at Thomas, "You know what, Thomas? Shuck you, and shuck your shank memories. I'm not one of your creations. I refuse to believe that you made me who I am now."
And finally, I leave the Gathering at a fast-paced walk.

"Leave her, Newt" I hear Alby advise just as I leave the room.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Chuck walks up to me at the tree where I'm laying, and sits down beside me.
"Rough day?"

"You have no bloody idea."

Chuck makes that smart decision, and just sits with me. I think he doesn't bother to make conversation, because he might be able to tell that if he does, I'm not going to keep up my end.

After a while, I decide need time to think, and inform Chuck that I just want to be alone. So, as he walks away kindly, I make my way to the Deadheads.

The sun remains flowing, even through the thick trees, but this is the darkest place I can find where no Gladers will be. I lay underneath a tree, waiting, waiting for sleep to shroud me in darkness and nightmares as usual.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I wake up to such darkness, that at first, I make the mistake that my eyes are still closed. I sit up and pull my hair into a ponytail with a hairband that I keep on my wrist whenever I'm not using it.

I must've missed dinner. Doesn't matter, I don't think I can even face any of them at the moment. Thank you Thomas. He was just trying to tell them the truth. Didn't mean he had to do that to me though. Well, pain is neccessary if it will help the others escape. Leave me alone.

Wow, arguing with myself again? Haven't done that in a while.

I sigh and stand up, planning on stopping at Fry's kitchen before bed to get some food, but something stops me. A light. And voices. He would be in the Deadheads at this time of night? Well, there's me, but I'm always here.

I decide to investigate. As I get closer, the words become clearer.
"I've told you everything I remember and know. So, do you remember me?" A fememine voice questions. That doesn't sound like Teresa, so it must be that new girl. Unless one of the boy's voices broke. Who knows.

I jog up to a tree a hide behind it, so that I can see them, but they can't see me. I was right about the girl being there. The strangest part though, is that she's sitting with Newt.

Why?

"No, I'm sorry. I don't remember any of that."

"Are you sure?"

Newt chuckles, "I think I'd bloody well let you know if I remembered any of that."

She knits her perfectly shaped eyebrows together, cocking her head to the side. "Maybe I can help you remember."

He just laughs at this, "And how are you going to-"

But he doesn't get a chance to finish. He can't speak.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek when I see why.

She's kissing him.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

(Author's Note)

No, jokes, that ending actually emotionally hurt me to write.

Q- Do you like new cover?

Normal Q- Who would you take into the world of TMR with you, even though there's a high chance that they will die a gruesome death?

xoxo